[House] Getting back into things with some mixtapes
    Tech Convert

Default Getting back into things with some mixtapes

Hey guys

After spending my first year of university in Leeds and being treated with some incredible gigs I've decided to take things a little more serious this summer and really push myself to make more mixes and try and make a name for myself where I can. Starting with Mixtapes on my Soundcloud and becoming more involved with radio work when term resumes.

Would appreciate it if you could give these a listen and please let me know what advice you have for me to improve and build from this.

https://soundcloud.com/alex-todd/mix-001

https://soundcloud.com/alex-todd/mix-002

Thanks
    Last edited by alxtodd; 07-05-2014 at 07:31 AM.

I just have a need to explain what a mixtape really is so maybe people will stop using the name incorrectly.

a mixtape is an ep or album produced by many artists.
    one person puts it together, and that person gets in touch with many artists to have their music on the album.
    it's not a mix session
    it's not a dj mix
    it's not a radio show
    and the producer only gets the songs for the release directly from the artists
    it's a compilation of songs.

once the compilation is complete and approved by all artists involved, each one of them promotes and helps distribute it including the main producer.

ok,got that off my chest. now let's have a listen

sorry but I don't see what advice ur looking for here. it's dj mix, sounds like a mix, levels are ok.
    anything in particular u we're looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    I just have a need to explain what a mixtape really is so maybe people will stop using the name incorrectly.

a mixtape is an ep or album produced by many artists.
    one person puts it together, and that person gets in touch with many artists to have their music on the album.
    it's not a mix session
    it's not a dj mix
    it's not a radio show
    and the producer only gets the songs for the release directly from the artists
    it's a compilation of songs.

once the compilation is complete and approved by all artists involved, each one of them promotes and helps distribute it including the main producer.

ok,got that off my chest. now let's have a listen
    I'm not sure where you got that definition, but back in the day I had a boatload of mixtapes - at least that's what they called them. Because they were DJ mixes on cassette tapes that we taped off the radio, taped from a friend, etc.

I've always thought what you're referring to as a compilation.

Nonetheless, I could certainly see where people would call a DJ mix a mixtape, although unless it's on a cassette I'm not sure why someone would call it a mix tape.

The distinction of whether it's a mix tape or not is really unnecessary anyway because OP wants people to listen to his obvious DJ mixes and provide feedback. Neither of which I've listened to because there isn't a track list posted and my time is too precious to listen to something that may or may not be something I'd like.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    The distinction of whether it's a mix tape or not is really unnecessary anyway because OP wants people to listen to his obvious DJ mixes and provide feedback. Neither of which I've listened to because there isn't a track list posted and my time is too precious to listen to something that may or may not be something I'd like.
    There actually is a track list posted below both mixes on the soundcloud link.

Quote Originally Posted by alxtodd View Post
    There actually is a track list posted below both mixes on the soundcloud link.
    yes i saw that too and was going to respond the same way
    then i realized, that just helps promote SC from DJTT
    i think what he means is there is no tracklist posted "Here on the DJTT thread"

Mix tapes were always to me dj mixes even a compilation of tracks were usually mixed

@ OP Listening now I like :thumb up: gave u a follow

While I could click on links to see if a track list is posted, you could just as easily copy and paste your track list from there and post it here. Because I don't think I'm alone on this, but if I don't see a track list posted here, I'm not clicking through.

Sorry, but there's too many mixes posted here and elsewhere for me to bother giving a listen or following links in the hopes of finding track lists containing music I may or may not enjoy.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad