to sync or to not to sync
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default to sync or to not to sync

is using the sync feature inside traktor cheating? even though it allows more dedicating your time to you creativity

HEHEHEHEH

No.

Syncing is cheating ....if you not going to be doing much more than just playing tracks IMHO.

When you do you homework and beatgrid your tracks....you are then able to use Sync Lock. This is better than using the sync button every few secs.

This allows you to expand...in a BIG way.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

For me personally having only just restarted djing back in July after a 13 year hiatus, I use sync, being an ex vinyl DJ that started back when I was 16 so that's erm 1986 I went through break beats not the made up ones but the original breaks and beats albums, Electro,House R&B Hardcore and when Jungle came along i stuck with House as I was older and preferred to play to that type of crowd, sync allows me to learn while in the mix,EQ if you check my latest mix to test my VCI which has been fixed, after a few listens I spotted some blatant bad parts but that's why it was 45 minutes of just testing, so I stuck it up anyways Being as I only use digital it's all very very new to me lol, I mean effects? eq's on a mixer none of this existed when I last played, so I really enjoy being able to mess around with the eq fx's and keep tunes synced just allows me to really play around, hopefully as time goes on i will incorporate the LPD8 I bought and the Xone 4D and really start to utilise better than what I am now, that's why personally sync is good ;-)

Tech Guru

If you are a beginner learn to beatmatch by ear, the satisfaction level is there and what this means is not being dependent on the sync button. By all means start using sync when you learn to beatmatch as it's a big time saver and you can get into really fun stuff. I was dependent on sync in the beginning and it's been a bit of a sabotage because I don't feel right calling myself a DJ if i'm dependent on the computer. Plus it pays honor to the tradition. We are lucky to be born in this time where DJing is VERY accessible but at the same time that's a danger in itself since anyone thinks they can do it with the push of a button. Learn to beatmatch by ear and you will have the confidence and skills that really makes a DJ as oppose to the insecurity that anyone could basically walk up to the decks hit the sync button and accomplish the same thing you did.

In order to use syncing etc you need to spend a lot longer prepping your tracks than the time it would take to match by ear alone. To my mind you are replacing a job which is only 20% of djing but takes 80% of your time behind the decks.
    When i'm on the CDJS, i might have just enough time to select an effect and press the big orange button on the DJM, Whereas with well gridded and keyed tracks, i can now spend 80% of my time mucking aound with effects and deck layering, that sort of thing.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

To sync or not to sync, the article: http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/05/1...r-not-to-sync/

Tech Wizard

Personally, I sync before I even cue up the next track, simply to get the bpm's matching. Traktor is already showing me what it thinks the bpm is, so I use this shortcut rather than manually changing the bpm either directly through the software, or through messing with the pitch fader.

That being said, after that I don't touch it, and make beat matching adjustments by nudging the jog wheel, and if the bpm is off by using the pitch fader. I haven't invested the time to manually beat grid all my tracks, so I really can't trust they are perfectly lined up (or even the right bpm.) This way I am constantly practicing the skill of beat matching by ear. Not to mention, I think making these kind of adjustments impresses upon those watching you that you are actually dj'ing, and not just pressing buttons (well, at least those who are familiar w/ what a dj does in the first place.)

I'm not against using sync, but definitely think you shouldn't rely on it. I see this as the difference between using Traktor and using Ableton. If I was going to painstakingly grid all my tracks, than I might consider using Ableton for all the benefits it provides. However, in my situation, I prefer the more dj minded (less sequencer oriented) approach of using Traktor. That allows me to make quick adjustments on the fly with material I may not have had the time to really lock in beat grids on.
    DJ Setup: Traktor Pro 1.2, VCI-100 SE, Audio Kontrol 1, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, Dell Inspiron E1505
    Other: MC-909, MC-505, Ableton Live 8, Reason 3, ReCycle 2, Traktor DJ Studio 3, BCD2000, Yamaha KX25, Radium 49, Korg nanoKONTROL
    Check out my tech-house mix on Soundcloud: Trickin' Out Tha Bird

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

NO.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Syncing is totally cheating. I mean, instead of actually DJING we're just sitting there and letting Traktor do all the Djing for us. I mean, if we're not beatmatching manually, arduously, mindlessly, then I guess all we're really doing is becoming a human jukebox.

Which is TOTALLY different from those guys on CDs, who, y'know, have the BPMs written down on little post-it notes, as well as the cue points, and can do math to figure out the percentage change, and have played the same 50 songs for 10 years. But they did it all by hand so many years ago, and still have to, like, mix by hand, cause I'm just letting iTunes do it for me.

I'm totally cheating. And lord knows that the next two months I'm going to spend meticulously going through my collection to beatgrid, cue up and organize my entire collection is going to result in only more cheating, being I won't have to spend as much time flipping through pages in my books trying to find the next CD cause I have a search function, and can use effects with super knobs to force fit songs in the mix. That's all cheating too, you see.

And then I have the keys mapped out, and lord knows that's something you should be able to do by ear, and using Mixed in Key is cheating because it makes something simpler. And then the loops get dropped when a hit a button and I don't have to do it by hand, which is also cheating, and I can jump to different cue points by hitting a button which is saved in the song, and I don't have to set it every time I load the CD, which is also cheating, and I can beat jump accurately every time I hit a button, which is also cheating....

God I hate everyone.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Go go gadget DvlsAdvct!

I often worry that people are buying Traktor and never learning how to manually beatmatch. I use sync, and I think it's brilliant - but the learning process of beatmatching gets you thinking about everything in EDM; the structure of music, phrasing, even for some people the beats in a bar - which is hugely important! I worry that sync may allow people to skimp on analysing their tracks in that level of detail, and just rely on the thickest part of the waveform to find their drop, which doesn't inspire great creativity I don't think...

On the other hand - I think it's indispensable as far as economising your mixing time is concerned. Heck, without it, half of the effects in traktor aren't properly quantized, and thus sound rubbish! SO, sync away

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast