Interested in a second MF Twister, but ...

Default Interested in a second MF Twister, but ...

couple of questions:

I have a Black MF Twister and like it a lot, great job DJTT.

I use it to control Ableton 9 (my own custom template).

Here's my concerns / observations:

- The latest firmware has that (known) bug (after making changes in MF Utility) where The first (upper left) knob on Bank 1 keeps changing colors (rainbow) until the MF Twister is disconnected and reconnected with USB Cable. It is very distracting (to the eye) and a pain to have to remove the USB cable all the time (and not good for the USB slot in the MF Twister to have the USB connector pushed in and out 20-plus times a day during MIDI design mode, going back and forth between MF Utility and Ableton). I'm sure DJTT will resolve this issue within the next 30 days.

- Ability to change Banks by sending Note On and Note Off on MIDI Channel 3. Boy, I tried this multiple ways, through Ableton, with the correct notes in a MIDI clip, as well as routing a QuNexus keyboard and got no results / reaction. Either a) I'm not sure this feature (of external MIDI control of the Banks) actually works yet or b) maybe I am doing something wrong. If this feature does work (as stated in the manual), maybe we can have an example through Ableton or Traktor to show how this is supposed to be done. I'm thinking of changing Banks with a Keith McMillen SoftStep (MIDI footswitch), so I don't have to use my hands to Change Banks.

- Ability for a knob on a different Bank with the same Midi Channel / MIDI Note or MIDI CC to show the current LED status of a device, fader, etc. The BCR2000 can do this. I was very surprised to see that if I wanted to use the MF Twister with (the same) 4 Volume Faders on the bottom row for Multiple Banks (and setting the "4 Encoders in each Bank" with the same MIDI Channel / MIDI CC / Midi Note) that moving from one Bank to another Bank does not refresh the LEDS to show the current value (in the software).

I run Traktor 4 Decks / separate Channels (external mode) into Saffire (ADAT Out) and then route to 4 channels (ADAT In) of Ableton 9. This allows me to use Traktor for Deck Control and Ableton for everything else. I'd like each of my MF Twister Banks to (always) have the bottom row to control 4 Volume Faders in Ableton. Other (top three rows in banks are: 3 Band EQ, Kills, Filters, Sends -- thus I need the bottom row of MF Twister to always refresh / pickup the LEDs / values to same Values of the bottom row / 4 encoders of the other Banks (since the MIDI Channel and MIDI CCs or MIDI Notes) are the set the same for the Encoders for the bottom row on all 4 Banks. -- Very surprised to see this doesn't work (as it does easily with a BCR2000).

- Second MF Twister. My concern is that I won't be able to get 2 MF Twisters working reliably in Ableton and that there might be MIDI Overlap (even if I tried to setup the second MF Twister with a different MIDI Channel). A Second Twister would be one way I can always have my 4 Ableton Faders and 3 band EQ available, while I use the first Twister for all 4 banks (for effects, filters, sends, etc).

I know MF Twister just came on the market, and so far (for a new release) it's very good, nothing else out there like it and is affordable (versus Livid). Encoders feel good, comfortable and clicking the encoders doesn't require a lot of pressure.

The design of having an "open circular bowl" at the bottom for easy grasp and handling is "genius" - definitely meant to be used an an "instrument" (a MIDI "ax" : )

Anyway, above are my observations, concerns, input.

Thanks DJTT !

Since there are no replies yet, Ableton hates different controllers using the same channel. If you do use a second twister i would assign different midi channels to the knobs from default so there are no conflicts. This is an Ableton thing as it does it with my goddamn launchpad too...

Tech Mentor

That bug has been fixed now

I am able to change the banks on my Twister by sending MIDI to it. I am using a visuals program called VDMX, and I made a "button" in the program that receives midi from my MF3D bank select buttons, and then sends midi out from that button to the twister & it worked. I'm not sure about Ableton, but perhaps you could use OSC. It doesn't use Note On or Off. it uses Control Change messages on Channel 3 CC0, CC1, CC2 & CC3.

You can't send MIDI to the ring LED value unfortunately. I don't know why or if this is possible for a future update, but as it stands now, you can only send MIDI out to the button LED's. So adjusting a parameter with your mouse in Ableton will not move the ring on the Twister, only the other way around.

ya, I had to sell my APC40 and just kept my Launchpad Mini Because you can't change the MIDI channels (easily) on those controllers (APC uses channel 0-8!!! Launchpad uses just 0). They were overlapping a lot of values on channel 0. LUCKILY the Midi Fighters are assignable to which channels they are on. You should be ok with 2 Twisters, just will have to change all the channels on the 2nd one to above channel 8 I believe.

There is a way to change midi channel on the Launchpad, but it it something convoluted like holding down certain buttons while plugging it in, and it will break default mappings if you do that. I can't remember what the key combination is, and to be fair it really isn't worth it. I also don't know if this applies to the Launchpad S and Mini.