Connecting a vinyl turntable to my computer through my audio interface?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Connecting a vinyl turntable to my computer through my audio interface?

Hello,

another question about connections as I can't seem to find a clear enough answer elsewhere!

I'm looking to connect a vinyl turntable to my computer to be able to record vinyl LPs to my harddrive. How can I go about doing this?

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, but can't figure out how the turntable would be connected to this in the best way to get a high quality signal!

What else do I need, I've read elsewhere that a phono preamp is necessary, and other places that it's not required - that or phono cables?

Help me out guys, I'm useless with connections!
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Tech Guru

What table do you have? You would just connect your table's out into the 2i2's in.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    What table do you have? You would just connect your table's out into the 2i2's in.
    I figured it would be as simple as that, have been searching for clarification everywhere, and no-one has written such a succinct answer.

I don't actually have the table yet, but I'm in the market for one, any suggestions?

And the cables to connect the table to the interface would be?

thanks for your help!
    K B R I D G E

Tech Guru

Technics SL1200 would be my vote, you would need a preamp for that. Audio Technica LP120 and Lp240 are not bad either. What's your price limit? And is it just for listening?

You would do SL1200 -> Phono Preamp -> these cables I think http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CPR.../dp/B000068O17 -> Focusrite 2i2

This guy has more detailed instructions.
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbi...rlett-2i2.html
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Technics SL1200 would be my vote, you would need a preamp for that. Audio Technica LP120 and Lp240 are not bad either. What's your price limit? And is it just for listening?
    The idea would be more for recording samples from Vinyl to then chop in my maschine/ableton/however. I would also like to avoid a preamp if this is possible, although if necessary I would obviously make the purchase! If I want to bypass a preamp, what would I have to look for in a turntable?
    K B R I D G E

Quote Originally Posted by kbridge View Post
    The idea would be more for recording samples from Vinyl to then chop in my maschine/ableton/however. I would also like to avoid a preamp if this is possible, although if necessary I would obviously make the purchase! If I want to bypass a preamp, what would I have to look for in a turntable?
    The Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB has a preamp built in and has USB for recording on Audacity.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    The Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB has a preamp built in and has USB for recording on Audacity.
    This does look perfect - any difference between recording through the USB on this and otherwise?
    K B R I D G E

Tech Guru

Get the Audio Technica then. I believe the USB compresses it whereas the 2i2 won't compress it. Compression probably won't make much diff.

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Tech Guru

I'm pretty sure the Audio Technica LP USB tables compress the audio when it's sent out via the USB. Or at least that's what I thought.

The vinyl rips w/ USB typically are not as good as if you were to use the RCA outs. I dunno, it was some picky audiophile stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast