Mixing Reggae?

Thread: Mixing Reggae?

Tech Mentor

Default Mixing Reggae?

Hi all!

Stupid silly question on mixing reggae... how should I count this music? With house music it is easy, kick drum on the 1, 2, 3 and 4. With reggae I'm sort of lost and find it real hard to count/beatmatch (I play vinyl).

What should I do to practice this?

Thanks,

Kind regards,
    Jordi

Tech Convert

It may seem different at first, but most Reggae and Dancehall is still a 4/4 beat. I usually mix in on the first beat, usually a kick drum, unless the tune is a one drop beat. If so, it can be a little tricky to find the first beat, as it is a downbeat. Kinda hard to describe, but the feel will come over time. I spin Reggae & Dancehall, but usually using DVS, so I have my cue points set on the first beat of the measure. Here's a link to one of my practice mixes. Best of luck! https://soundcloud.com/uptownhifi/up...fi-tuesday-mix

Mixing Reggae isn't to hard the secret is you need a "MIC" just back spin really fast grab the mic yell "PULL UP" and slam the next track in ;P. use the snare and work with that. thats the real secret, and beats are counted in 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. where the and is the up beat... good luck

Tech Mentor

instead of looking for a kick to mix with try looking for something like a 2 4 snare or clap. those come in handy with most 4/4 music and tend to be easier to follow than the kick in things like house music as well.

Try checking some of DJ Vadim's mixes out.

http://www.mixcloud.com/DJVadim/

https://soundcloud.com/dj-vadim

A lot of the transitions are just sound FX with delay and the track slammed in.

We have a reggae show on dice radio and for the most part the transitions are very basic, such as echoe fades and backspins.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Reggae is particular because of one drop drumming, but there are ways of getting around. I am crazy about back spins and excessive sound FX. So I have learned to be use quick cuts on the drop or create edits that allow me to mix the difficult. Mixing in Key could help a great deal if you are into that sort of thing.