Technics Modding (leds and rcas)
    Tech Mentor

Default Technics Modding (leds and rcas)

Hi Guys,

I am going to have a go at restoring some Technics i've recently acquired, one of the target lights is out so i'd like to replace it with a blue led, not wanting it to look odd i may as well go the whole way and do a blue LED conversion. I'm handy with a soldering iron but i have absolutely no clue what parts i need to get the job done.

What exactly do i need to do a blue (or white) LED conversion on the target light and red strobe? Are there any kits available? preferably in the UK.

I'm also going to upgrade the RCAs as they are odd and completely battered.. i've been looking at Cambridge Audio AUD300, just under £20 each.. is this a good shout? any other recommendations? I've noticed it comes with the rya connection on each end, do i need cables that only have the connection on one end and bare wire on the other end, or is it as easy as pulling the connectors off the end that will be soldered to the technic?

In the unlikely event that something went wrong.. what is sort of damage are we looking at? ie.. it just not working until the mistake is corrected or completely blowing the deck? I obviously don't anticipate any mistakes i'd just like to know where i stand should it happen

Any advice appreciated thanks

Tech Mentor

Put up this thread a few days a go i've since ordered an LED kit off ebay and some new tools.. only thing i'm really struggling with now is the RCAs.. i've just came across these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-S..._qi=RTM1793693

All looks good, not sure what it means by ground wire elimination, does that mean it doesn't have one? if so will i still be able to internally ground the wire ok?

That means you'd need to ground the tonearm internally once you've cracked open the decks. Not especially difficult.

Check out the vids on Youtube by VIPERFRANK. He knows all there is to know about Technics.

When I modded my Technics, I decided NOT TO internally ground them. There have been some reports (heresay, granted) of issues with certain DVS systems when you do the internal ground mod...

If you're gonna do the internal ground mod, you can buy ANY rca interconnects and use them. Buy a nice long one, and cut it in half. Use one half for each deck.

If you wanna get technical, buy some van damme instrument cable and some nice interconnects, and some cable armour and heat shrink tubing. The end result is high quality, hard wearing cables.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Schalenberg

Patch, you ever sell those white Technics?

Tech Mentor

Thanks Patch, i've been going over viper franks videos for weeks before i decided to take the plunge.

Just so i know we're on the same page: the tone arm grounding is the grounding wire that attaches to the back of the mixer? I want to give the internal grounding a go, i wont be cutting away the wire incase it needs reversing, i've seen a video where it's just tie wrapped and tucked away inside.

Since the cable in the ebay auction has the grounding wire wrapped in it i guess it's not fit for purpose (in my case)? or can i simply just cut the grounding part away?

I don't want to go too audiophile on it, just some nice sturdy cable built to last that is an improvement over the cables i have on there now. I've scoured the internet for hours and can't make a decision.

Just so i know we're on the same page: the tone arm grounding is the grounding wire that attaches to the back of the mixer?
    Yes.

But you have to ground EACH cable on the interconnect, too. That's why the ground wires are there!

To internally ground the decks, you just connect the tonearm ground cable to one of the interconnect ground points...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Thats right thanks, it just threw me off saying it eliminates the ground wire... but i'm assuming it's just talking about the same thing (soldering the ground wire to the rca ground?)

Tech Guru

Viperfrank's video tells you everything you need to do. Point to point.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Mentor

I've went ahead and ordered that cable.. looking forward to getting stuck in.