Best sub $1000 replacement for the Traktor S4?
    Tech Student

Default Best sub $1000 replacement for the Traktor S4?

I'm sick of Native Instruments giving the middle finger to their customers and not offering a damn thing to help those of use with S4Mk1s that are constantly crashing.

What the best non NI controller for Traktor that is less than $1000 USD?

Thanks

Tech Mentor

Do you mean dedicated to Traktor or just working with Traktor? Because you can pretty much make anything work with Traktor. I'd look into things like the Pioneer DDJ-SX or the Reloop Terminal Mix 4 or 8. They are much better built than the S4 and have more capabilities than the S4. I don't know about the Reloops, but the Pioneer has some very good mappings available.

I know ive been saying this for a year now but if you like how the s4 is set up then look at a vestax vci 400. Those things are built like tanks. Cop one used for like $500 and it will outlast multiple s4s. Unless your the type that needs the latest and greatest in which the vci will be a little dated.

Tech Guru

Numark NV is looking pretty good.

That said, for 1K, I would buy an external mixer and move to modular controllers. Denon SC2000, Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, etc. It sets you up to get CDJs/Tables if you ever want to make the move as well.

If you really want a controller, then Vestax VCI or Pioneer's DDJ-SX are very nice.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    I know ive been saying this for a year now but if you like how the s4 is set up then look at a vestax vci 400. Those things are built like tanks. Cop one used for like $500 and it will outlast multiple s4s.
    Isn't Vestax in bankruptcy? That would make really ANY support non-existent. It may not be an issue...my VCI-100 is still going strong. But that does make a difference to some people. Don't get me wrong, the VCI-400 for $500 is still a great deal...even if you have use google for support.

+1 for the Pioneer DDJ-S?. The SB, SR, SX all fit into your <$1k budget. The SZ, not so much. The SX has a stand alone mixer, and is really as the sweet spot on the price-v-performance curve, IMO, YMMV.

+1 for the Reloop Terminal mix 4 or 8. Depending on your style and if you want the performance pads...both are solid choices.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Carr View Post
    Get two NI Traktor X1 mk2's, a NI Traktor Z1 and a NI Traktor Audio 6/10 for when you play out in the clubs.
    Can't tell if sarcastic or not.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Student

Already have decks (been djing since the early 90s) but I sold my mixer when I bought the S4 (dumb on my part but it would have been outdated by now anyway). I've considered buying a new mixer and a couple controllers but that's a lot of money to invest right now (just bought a house). Would prefer an all in one that doesn't cost me a fortune but has a good enough phone pre-amp to play turntables through as I still have a lot of vinyl. The phono pre-amp on the s4 mk1 sucks.
    thanks for the advice guys. might look at that vestal but will research their financial status first.

Tech Mentor

Just because one famous person chooses setup x, it doesn't mean it's everybody's best option. I like having jogwheels and beatmatching manually for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by mscot View Post
    Already have decks (been djing since the early 90s) but I sold my mixer when I bought the S4 (dumb on my part but it would have been outdated by now anyway). I've considered buying a new mixer and a couple controllers but that's a lot of money to invest right now (just bought a house). Would prefer an all in one that doesn't cost me a fortune but has a good enough phone pre-amp to play turntables through as I still have a lot of vinyl. The phono pre-amp on the s4 mk1 sucks.
    thanks for the advice guys. might look at that vestal but will research their financial status first.
    no mixer is outdated, that's the point. a good mixer is always a center of a good setup. because of phono preamps I would suggest denon mc6000. look for a good used mk1 if you would like a hybrid setup with traktor (mixer section of the controller acts like a external mixer, jogwheels section control deck in traktor and plug TT for timecode control if you use the hack) or mk2 if you like new stuff (note: mk2 doesn't have the hybrid option of controlling traktor)
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2