Simplest 3/4-channel Traktor setup (with vinyl)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Simplest 3/4-channel Traktor setup (with vinyl)?

Hi there,

I am a tech-house DJ currently using 2xTechnics, 2xPioneer CDJ200s, and a Vestax PMC-50A at home.

I am now thinking about swithcing to using Traktor as the hub of my setup. However, I have a few main criteria which I would like it to meet:

- It needs to be properly 3 or 4 channels, because I like to layer and cut back-and-forth between multiple tracks.

- I would like to use my Technics (with the Traktor scratch vinyls) as the main controllers for cueing tracks in Traktor, because I still love the tactile feel of vinyl (and I still occasionally play old 12"s). For the 3rd/4th channels I could use the CDJs.

- The setup should be relatively portable and easily adaptable to the installed setups at clubs in Berlin. I currently play out a bit in bars, but expect that my gigs will increase soon. Sometimes there are space and time limitations in installing the equipment, so the simpler to setup and least space consuming the better.

- I would like to touch my laptop as little as possible, so ideally scrolling through tracks, looping, syncing etc. can be done away from the laptop/on a controller.

- I have a decent budget, but the less expensive the better.

Ideally I would only need to buy a "Kontrol Z4", but it doesn't exist!! Any other ideas?

Thanks,

H
    Last edited by DJHP; 07-17-2014 at 07:47 AM.

DJM 850/DJM900?

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2013/04...-850-900nexus/

I highly recommend the 850. Never touched a 900/900 Nexus, though.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

That's a lovely mixer you have.
    Probably the cheapest solution would be to snag an Audio 6 or Audio 10 from Native Instruments, that should insure plug'n'play for a quicker setup.
    If you're willing to switch out the mixer then the DJM-900 og DJM-850's should do. The EVO5 by Ecler and x1600/x1700 by Denon are also good to go
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by safefire View Post
    That's a lovely mixer you have.
    Probably the cheapest solution would be to snag an Audio 6 or Audio 10 from Native Instruments, that should insure plug'n'play for a quicker setup.
    If you're willing to switch out the mixer then the DJM-900 og DJM-850's should do. The EVO5 by Ecler and x1600/x1700 by Denon are also good to go
    Yeah I'm thinking about an Audio 10.

The other thing I forgot to add is that ideally I would like to be able to scroll through tracks, create and trigger loops, and hit the 'sync' button for the tracks, etc. in Traktor without having to touch the laptop.

As far as I can tell, I can't do these things with just the DJM 900 or 850, and so if I bought one of those, or just went with an Audio 10, I would still need to buy and carry around something else? I'm not sure what exactly would then also be the easiest thing for this? A Kontrol F1? An A&H K2?...

Audio 8/10 Scratch package, two Kontrol X1s and use Vinyl for channels 1 & 2 and CD timecode for channels 3 & 4.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Yes I'm thinking about an Audio 6 or 10.

The one other thing I forgot to mention though, which is why I'm not sure about a DJM 850/900 etc., is that I would like to touch my laptop as little as possible, so ideally scrolling through tracks, looping, syncing etc. can be done away from the laptop/on a controller.

Therefore, were I to buy an 850/900 etc., or even just the Audio 10, then I suspect I would still need to buy another controller.

Would just an A&H Xone K2 do pretty much the same job as 2x Kontrol X1s?

If I bought a Xone K2, or 2 x Kontrol X1s (along with the Audio 10), would I still need to use my Vestax mixer at all?

What happydan said.

You could get away with an S4 I believe, but that's a big controller to setup in a club.

An 850/900 (love my 900 nexus BTW) would work, but you'd still need X1s to not have to mess with your computer.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Thanks guys!

Sounds like an A10 and 2 x Kontrol X1s is the way to go so far, with maybe a DJM 900 later down the road...

One other question which occurred to me: would something like an A&H K2 be able to do pretty much the same job as the 2 x Kontrol X1s?

Cheers

Sounds like you should look into the traktor audio 10 DVS // sound card..

Don't know if I would lean towards the DJM900 because then you would have to bring your mixer every where you go. IOf you use the a10 you are able to use the club gear & just plug and play.

Thanks for the answers so far.

Yes the Audio 10 does sound like the way to go.

As far as controllers go, would something like the Allen & Heath K2 be worth getting instead of having to 2 x Kontrol X1s?

It would work out a bit cheaper, and it has all the 4 channels in 1.

Cheers,

H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast