Which entry level MIDI controller to buy
    Tech Convert

Default Which entry level MIDI controller to buy

I'm buying my first MIDI controller and I have no idea which one to buy. Since I'm a rookie, low-budget controller would be nice, so I was thinking about Numark Mixtrack. Would that be a good gear for a start? How does it compare to Mixtrack II, is that one worth extra money?

p.s.: I'm going to use Virtual DJ Pro with it.

Behringer make some nice inexspensive gear, Personally Im a fan of the modular stuff so you cam build your ideal setup.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Mentor

...just don't expect it to last long.

Anyway, the Mixtracks are great, just get the pro version so you can use headphones. The II is worth the extra money IMO. But remember, they don't go very loud. Another option would be the DDJ-SB by Pioneer or the Reloop Beatmix 2 or 4. Especially the Beatmix 4 is great value if it still comes with the full Serato DJ.

Why would you spend peanuts on a controller and more on VDJ Pro? Or are you illegally downloading stuff? Come on, be honest.

Tech Convert

Ok, I'll be honest.

I will only need MIDI controller for few private parties, so no salary here. Therefore I just thought to use cracked version of VirtualDJ 7. If I'm going to work in a club in future, which I really doubt, I might buy licensed version of VirtualDJ 8, but still not necessary since a lot of clubs also use VirtualDJ and have original licenses.

So why is Mixtrack 2 Pro better than 1 Pro? I really can't tell from reviews and tests...

Tech Mentor

I found the pads more handy and it has two more rotary encoders. But if you don't care about the mixtrack pro will do just fine.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

but still not necessary since a lot of clubs also use VirtualDJ and have original licenses.
    Eh ? I have been in ANY bar or club that provides computers or software for their DJ's.

Just use Serato Intro, its free with half the controllers on the market and has more than enough features for any beginner.

Default Ableton

Honestly, If you're gonna shell out some dough, why not put $99 extra into it and get Ableton Live 9 Intro, that's what I'm using currently, and It's working out pretty well.