OpenDeck platform - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Here are the planned features for version 2.0 of OpenDeck platform:

1) Program change support for buttons
    3) Local LED control (configure LEDs to react on button presses instead of MIDI In)
    4) SysEx protocol refinements
    5) Some performance improvements

...and few more features probably. If anyone has some suggestions, I'd really like to hear them. I'm planning on making OpenDeck most powerful MIDI platform around!
    Last edited by paradajz; 09-06-2015 at 04:07 AM.
    Shantea Controls - Custom MIDI controllers: Official | Youtube | Instagram | Tindie
    DJ Mixes: Psychill, Psydub, Dub | House, Progressive, Techno | Dubstep

Tech Mentor

Just finished circuit for OpenDeck v2:

1) Support for 64 buttons / 32 encoders
    2) Support for 48 regular LEDs / 16 RGB LEDs
    3) 32 analogue inputs
    4) DIN MIDI in/out
    5) USB MIDI
    Last edited by paradajz; 08-28-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    Shantea Controls - Custom MIDI controllers: Official | Youtube | Instagram | Tindie

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    For encoders, it would be useful to have settings for sensitivity, acceleration, and message type. Sensitivity would act as a multiplier or divider for the number of "ticks" in the natural resolution of the encoder (25 pulses per revolution for example). This could be used to not only help address "slow" pots, but also to slow down higher resolution pots (8 bit or higher). Acceleration would act similarly to sensitivity, except it would ramp resolution up based on how quickly the pot is being twisted. This would allow the encoder to have fine control over a parameter but allow for more radical value changes. Message type would allow the user to select what KIND of relative message is being sent from the encoder (binary offset, 2s comp, etc). Sometimes one is more suited to the task than another, and allowing the host software to set those values would be useful.
    I guess you'll be happy to know I implemented bold parts, only acceleration is left. Also, I ordered few FSR sensors, so support for that is coming soon as well.

I also made significant performance improvements to software, as nearly everything is interrupt-driven right now, so software only does something when data is available, instead of constantly polling.

The big news is that since recently, Chrome beta supports WebMIDI!
    http://blog.chromium.org/2015/04/chr...upgrading.html

What this means that I can abandon plans to build separate apps for Linux, Mac and Windows, and simply run configuration utility inside Chrome. How awesome is that?

Sounds awesome!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    For buttons or knobs, it would be great to allow the control output message to also set a state in the controller. So a button might send 90 21 7F, but it might also send F0 00 53 43 01 00 42 00 13 01 F7 (to change the mode of button 19). Ideally it would be possible to send multiple commands of this type - allowing the user to reconfigure the controller on the fly. To take that idea even further, it would be AMAZING to allow incoming MIDI messages to trigger a similar stack of SYSEX strings. At that point, the host application could drive controller configuration based on any number of conditions (what view is selected, what effect is loaded, etc).
    I am implementing this feature next. New board coming soon as well.

Edit (2015-12-31): This feature will come in some later version of platform.
    Last edited by paradajz; 12-30-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Tech Mentor

First post is now updated with more relevant information, implemented features and list of upcoming stuff. Feedback needed!

Tech Mentor

With this latest commit, I've added support for different encoding modes for encoders. For now, 7Fh/01h and 3Fh/41h modes are supported. Are there any other encoding modes? If anyone knows for some other configuration, please let me know so that I can add support for that as well.

Tech Mentor

Updated 2017-01-30: obsolete info
    Last edited by paradajz; 01-30-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Tech Mentor

Just finished board design - will send it to manufacturing soon. A bit incomplete 3D render:

Untitled_cr.jpg

Looks good.
    I've built a couple of midiboxes & a teensy controller & $65 for this board is really good value.
    SC | MC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast