OpenDeck platform
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default OpenDeck DIY MIDI platform

OpenDeck is a platform suited both for prototyping and developing custom MIDI controllers compatible with any MIDI software on any OS. Platform consists of electronic part (PCB), software running on MCU and web configuration tool which communicates with the board directly via MIDI protocol.

OpenDeck platform supports the following components:

* Buttons
    * Encoders
    * LEDs (single color or RGB)
    * Potentiometers
    * FSRs (force-sensitive resistors)
    * I2C OLED/LCD displays

OpenDeck firmware also runs on Arduino Micro, Arduino Leonardo, Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega2560 and Teensy++ 2.0. Support for ARM-based deveopment boards is coming soon.

The platform allows hassle-free building of MIDI controllers and their configuration via MIDI System Exclusive messages and Web interface, without any need of reprogramming the chip.

Updated 2018-11-21

The hardware for official OpenDeck board:

* USB MIDI
    * DIN MIDI (in/out)
    * 64 inputs for buttons / 32 inputs for encoders
    * 32 analogue inputs
    * 48 outputs for single color LEDs or 16 RGB LEDs (RGB LED is actually three LEDs)
    * Power supply via USB B cable.

Comprehensive documentation is available on GitHub.

Configuration can be performed either via SysEx messages, or using WebMIDI configuration utility. Below are some screenshots of utility:

More info can be found on official website.
    https://shanteacontrols.com/

OpenDeck boards are available through Tindie.
    Last edited by paradajz; 11-21-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    Shantea Controls - Custom MIDI controllers: Official | Youtube | Instagram | Tindie
    DJ Mixes: Psychill, Psydub, Dub | House, Progressive, Techno | Dubstep

Will it be possible to use seven segment LED displays like with NI's Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk2? Was considering the UMC32+M for a DIY MIDI controller project, even though it didn't have it, but having this would sway me towards your project, as none of the other options out there bar an Arduino setup have this.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Notanon View Post
    Will it be possible to use seven segment LED displays like with NI's Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk2? Was considering the UMC32+M for a DIY MIDI controller project, even though it didn't have it, but having this would sway me towards your project, as none of the other options out there bar an Arduino setup have this.
    Absolutely yes, however, I really want to get the basics done right first. The project is built with modularity in mind, I'm planning to have some more features as well. Also worth of mentioning is that this will probably take couple of months before being production ready, so if you're in a hurry I would sugest looking elsewhere for the time being. Glad you're interested!
    Shantea Controls - Custom MIDI controllers: Official | Youtube | Instagram | Tindie

Quote Originally Posted by paradajz View Post
    Absolutely yes, however, I really want to get the basics done right first. The project is built with modularity in mind, I'm planning to have some more features as well. Also worth of mentioning is that this will probably take couple of months before being production ready, so if you're in a hurry I would sugest looking elsewhere for the time being. Glad you're interested!
    Thanks! Yeah, think my project will take a while. More or less just in the design phase, sketching layouts and taking into account what functions I want to have access to via the controller without needing to touch the laptop, so might take some time to work out a final design and what inputs and outputs would be needed.

Tech Mentor

Updated 2015-08-29: v1 board info - now obsolete
    Last edited by paradajz; 12-30-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Just another question, will the digital and analogue inputs be separate or shared?

Tech Mentor

Updated 2015-12-31: v1 board info - now obsolete

Separate. This current board has MINUMUM of 16 analogue inpputs, 32 outputs and 32 inputs. There's also 4 additional IO, so that you can expand button/LED matrix to, I don't know, say, 2 more button and 2 more LED rows, resulting in 48 inputs/outputs, or you can use all 4 to add 4 more button rows (64 inputs in total). There is certain flexibility. Number of analogue inputs is fixed to 16. Those are all abilities of board, the software actually supports much more.
    Last edited by paradajz; 12-30-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

I've written new blog post about programming the OpenDeck platform using MIDI SysEx message.

http://shanteacontrols.wordpress.com...ysex-protocol/

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by paradajz View Post
    I've written new blog post about programming the OpenDeck platform using MIDI SysEx message.

http://shanteacontrols.wordpress.com...ysex-protocol/
    Cool project. Did you use the I2C pins for part of the multiplex? I think on
    Pro mini they pop out the middle of the board? It would be great if those
    were free, so things like MCP23017 could be added for LED display modules,
    or other switches or... who knows what. I understand, if you had to use them, but
    it would be a bonus if they are free.

I'll try to look at your details and schematic when i'm at a proper computer.

thanks for sharing this,

jimmy

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast