Simplest and cheapest way to have a vocoder?

Default Simplest and cheapest way to have a vocoder?

Hello! I have been looking for a while about this on the net to no avail so maybe this is the right channel to ask this. Im trying to have a vocoder up and running but Im not sure what would be the simplest and effective way. I will try to describe what I want and perhaps it could be done but Im not sure... Please keep in mind my knowledge in DAW and production is not much.

The first solution would be to use what I already have which is a Kontrol S4 and a Mic. Perhaps I could hookup the Mic to the S4 and reroute to some software vocoder? I would like to talk and vocode on the fly like you are able with a MicroKORG for example. I guess a 2012 Mac would be able to have enough processing power to do this on top of traktor?

Now, Im not sure the S4 could do this since Traktor is designed to be stable and Im not sure if even its possible it would get more prone to errors... So maybe connecting the mic to some other (low cost) input like a Presonus Firebox? Going this route would assure the need of a daw with a vst but, perhaps there a stand alone/free vocoder for this?

Would a maschine allow to do this? Maybe dropping a vocoder vst and hooking up the Mic to maschine would allow to do this?

Thanks in advance for your comments and replies!
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Mentor

1) traktor's mic input would be fine. it's not a Neve preamp but for your purposes, it's fine.

2) your Mac probably could run a DAW on top of Traktor without a problem. If you are worried, i'd keep your system streamlined.

A) keep effects to a minimum. No reason to run all 4FX units in group mode simultaneously.

B) use a DAW with low overhead. I find Ableton pretty conservative but I'm sure there is a others that are better. Something like AU lab which is in the mac's developer bundle( free); Never used it. Try this one http://www.ju-x.com/Freebies.html called Hosting AU.

3) If your DAW doesn't have a prebundled vocoder effect. Just find a good vocoder plugin. I believe TAL offers a free one.http://www.kvraudio.com/product/tal-...ogu-audio-line

I hope this helps.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Looks good! Thanks!
    Erase. Stop. Start.