How is this Dj'ing? - Page 7
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    You still gotta line up the phases.

I think finding the tempo by ear is a little silly nowadays. When you've mixed enough, there's no reason to not use experience to guide you towards faster guesstimates on tempos. Like I know approximately 0.75% or so will get me a 1 BPM change. Expecting me to wave around the tempo fader until I get the right tempo is pointless.
    Until you show up at a gig, going on after someone spinning on turntables?
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    You still gotta line up the phases.

I think finding the tempo by ear is a little silly nowadays. When you've mixed enough, there's no reason to not use experience to guide you towards faster guesstimates on tempos. Like I know approximately 0.75% or so will get me a 1 BPM change. Expecting me to wave around the tempo fader until I get the right tempo is pointless.
    To each his own.......

But there is no way I can agree with that.
    2 x CDJ2000 Nexus, 2x Technics 1210 M5G, 2 x Technics 1210 Mk2, Allen & Heath DB4, 15" Macbook Pro Retina, Traktor A10....And A Shitload Of Records!

Tech Wizard

We all need to get past this already. Do what is best for you. Nobody cares if you press sync or beatmatch anymore. People care about the music, not how its delivered, as long as you dont trainwreck which is impossible

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Tech Mentor

As I said, I put more into my sets now with sync than I ever did beatmatching vinyl. But I've had sync flake out on me which is why I'm glad I know how to manually beatmatch. It's true, some DJs are just plain lazy with technology. Definitely you don't want the club owner to think all he has to do is set everything to auto and have some hot chick wave her arms about in the DJ booth cause that be the end of your job. I show up with all kinda controllers and I'm knee deep in twisting knobs and pushing buttons, all kinds of manipulation.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by feedbackl00p View Post
    Its not about sync vs beatmatching.

Its about Craft DJs and Low Effort DJs.

Low Effort DJs will always do whatever they think will get them laid quickest, they dont care about this craft at all. This laziness pervades everything they do, from playing only the beatport 100 to spamming FX.

well said!

to my mind its horses for courses...if ya using software n you have ya tracks gridded I cant understand why u'd make a point of manually beatmatching, i saw a vid of a guy a while back before i took the traktor plunge and he made a point of saying it was mixed without sync, but he just looked at the screen and moved the pitch fader till the bpm readout matched! But i also feel you should learn to beatmatch n mix properly, especially if ya playing out, digital makes it to easy/lazy to my mind. If you like djing surely you would like the challenge of mixing on other equipment and learning to beatmatch and mix well is great fun. Gotta be honest i'm missing vinyl and plan on getting some TT's later in the year (thinking Stanton st-150's).

Btw i don't mean controller dj's are lazy, what i mean is when ya learning using software its encouraging more looking at the screen than listening with the ear,
    Last edited by Pearce161; 07-24-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    what? you think no talent jocks are OK? They are going to destroy the scene, pretty soon you'll only be able to gig if you are some famous person.

To say that skill isn't important for a performance is just silly.
    A) Every single day someone freaks out that something is going to "destroy the scene". It's been happening for decades. Scenes change, but talent always prevails, and good music is ALWAYS out there. Don't be so dramatic.

B) He never said "no-talent jocks are ok". He is simply saying that some DJs have a different kind of talent that isn't always dependent on technical skills. Again, you like the drama.

C) Once again, NO ONE said skill isn't important for a performance. You just have a different opinion of which skills you enjoy watching DJs display. That's fine. And, of course you need to be skilled, but some people have unique skill sets that you might not appreciate. No need to bash them. They really aren't hurting you. Also, chill on the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by feedbackl00p View Post
    ....The amount of work people do to not learn how to DJ manually is incredible.
    I never really get when people say this. Some people shroud beatmatching in mysticism.

Firstly, when I learned to beat match it wasn't "work" it was fun.

Secondly, as a 'skill' it takes no time at all to pick up and you can become proficient within a matter of months. Sure, you improve with time but a DJ who is committed to practicing can beat match sufficiently to pick up gigs in less than 6 months.

It takes more than beatmatching to make a decent DJ. Far more important IMO is track selection, phrasing, key matching and subtle EQ adjustments. These skills take a lot longer to adequately learn than matching beats.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast