Vestax vci 400 - traktor or serato better
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Vestax vci 400 - traktor or serato better

I am using Traktor like from the beginning. Never before had i used serato dj. I was always like - that ugly looking software will never be that good and so on...
    BUT i bought a vestax vci 400 - managed to install drivers and stuff, updated firmware and played some tunes on traktor - couldn’t find the right latency - always some cracking sound and so on. Decides to give Serato DJ A TRY: OMG! Pitch fader with super fine resolution, 1 ms latency, in other words nothing that i expected /Not to say that not needing to map anything was of the hook! Controlling serato was super intuitive although i never have used it before. The only thing i didn’t like, but maybe there is a way, is that there is no browsing folders like in traktor/.
    So my question would be - can i achieve that latency and pitch resolution in Traktor?
    Last edited by x2805; 07-25-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Tech Mentor

Latency is limited to your computer and pitch resolution to your controller hardware, I have no idea what you're talking about. I use a DDJ-SR with 14-bit pitch faders and they work flawless in both Serato and Traktor. Are you sure they have the same range? Latency is the same on Serato or Traktor and again, no issues. It might be a driver issue with the VCI.

Tech Wizard

My english is i supose not that good, to explain what i mean. I ment that i have a traktor and a serato dj softwares - on the same laptop. Both at 8% pitch range - when i move pitch fader on serato it has better resolution. Second - latency is 1 ms-2 ms in serato dj. An on traktor i can not find the right setting of the Vestax vci 400 buffer - there si always some cracking sound when i go into the traktor menu... And i am a total traktor fan i never liked serato before....

Tech Wizard

serato dj = hid traktor = midi you will never have the same response in traktor because hid enables a better latency and resolution.
    if youīre not a scratch dj it isnīt a real probem. i play on a ddj sx with traktor and it is absolutely ok for me ( i play techno stuff )

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by beatkind View Post
    serato dj = hid traktor = midi you will never have the same response in traktor because hid enables a better latency and resolution.
    There is so much wrong with this sentence, I don't know where to begin.

Tech Wizard

i am definetly not a scrtach dj - i play deep house and tehcno and nu disco...
    But the responce of serato is quite NICE... And the other thing is i have thsi cracking sound and traktor gets quie slow when in menus and so. Its better when i use the original Vestax mapping. When i load some complex mapping and stuff it gets worse...

I simply dont use sync so i use pitch fader and mapped the two buttons above for fine tempo... But its kind of stupid...
    Tomorow we are having an open air so i am still thinking about which software to use - traktor or serato...
    Last edited by x2805; 07-25-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Tech Mentor

I never used serato and I donīt own a VCI400, but it would be good to know which computer you use and what its specifications are. Also it would be good to know which operating system you have, which software versions you run and which updates/firmwares you installed.
    I know the VCI400 can be updated in 2 ways, the midi section and the audio section, I think (correct me if Iīm wrong).
    The crackling sound might come from the audio driver or from wrong latency settings (how are they set in traktor?). If you use a windows computer you can try the asio4all driver.
    The slowdown of the menus when you use a mapping others than the original vestax is not a case of latency, I believe. Itīs strange, maybe itīs a mapping for the VCI400EGE version or for an older traktor version, maybe its faulty and triggering notes that are not there... I donīt know. But that seems not to cause the crackling.
    The pitch can be set in the settings (like 8%, etc), but also in your controller mapping: Look for the command TEMPO ADJUST and set acceleration and sensitivity.

About your gig tomorrow: As long as you didnīt fix that crackling, you should use serato, even if you are not used to it!
    Last edited by c0nsul; 07-25-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: corrections

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

There is so much wrong with this sentence, I don't know where to begin.
    Traktor + Non Native Instrument controller = Perceivable Lack of 1:1 control with jogwheels.

His terminology is not quite right, but the message is there HID 1:1 jogwheel support is not available on anything but NI controllers. That being said, I've never noticed a problem with faders or knobs whatsoever.

The only thing i didn’t like, but maybe there is a way, is that there is no browsing folders like in traktor/.
    So my question would be - can i achieve that latency and pitch resolution in Traktor?
    Folder browsing can definably be done, I think there is a shift key somewhere you need to use (the was on my ergo) where you can scroll though the various files and folder tree.

Also, if you are running the latest firmware with the Serato "fixes" it might be whats interfering with Traktor.

From Vestax This firmware is designed only for use with Serato DJ. Please note that If you upgrade to this firmware, it is not possible to use the VCI-400 with other applications (such as Virtual DJ, Traktor).
    However, you can use other applications (such as Virtual DJ, Traktor) again by rewriting the VCI-400 to the previous firmware.

Tech Convert

Wait, so the VCI-400 will only work with the previous firmware for Traktor and not the latest offered specifically for Serato DJ? That's pretty lame. My crossfader and volume fader are inoperable with Traktor. This has got to be the reason why, right?

So to be precise, what exact firmware version will work with Traktor/VCI-400?

Tech Wizard

Mine are quite operable but it doesn't feel that top notch - as if I control it with my mixtrack and numark io....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast