"Next Level Performances"!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ......

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Being Positive

good thread and might I add the OP isn't looking for the "how to's" found on YouTube. what he asked for was mix sets.

am I right feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by feedbackl00p View Post
    Show me something I havent seen before that will blow away the old school.
    See, you've already made this a potentially confrontational thread. It doesn't have to "blow away the old school". This is what you keep doing; trying to justify that one has to be better than the other.

They can both exist. They can both be impressive. They can both require skill. They are just different. The thread is a great idea but, Jesus, why does one method have to win with you?

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    See, you've already made this a potentially confrontational thread. It doesn't have to "blow away the old school". This is what you keep doing; trying to justify that one has to be better than the other.

They can both exist. They can both be impressive. They can both require skill. They are just different. The thread is a great idea but, Jesus, why does one method have to win with you?
    Agreed. I like the idea of this thread because we always hear about how "creative" you can be with digital DJing and I'd like to see some performances but this could open up a whole can of worms.

IMO I think the "creative" side comes out in shorter "performances" like what Ean has displayed on the blog several times. However, when you see club sets from the likes of Dubfire, Hawtin, MK et al you tend to see less "performance" and more tight uses of loops and subtle effects.

Everyones a winner!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

You got it. Mix sets or routines that showcase digital DJ features to do something truly new.
    Why does it have to be "truly new"? When CDJ's came out they offered nothing you couldn't really do on a set of turntables. They just offered an alternative way of doing the same thing.

A lot of newer guys say that the automating of timing, beatmatching, flux mode etc, allows them more time and freedom to do things that traditional DJs cant do because they are tied to their manual controls. I see this said a lot on DJ forums, but Ive never seen anything to back it up.
    You get a lot of those guys in here too. You get the newbie controller DJ's saying that sync, loops etc allow them to be more creative - without ever showing how "creative" they really get.

But you also get the turntable, vinyl, freaks who talk about how sync makes people lazy and it "just isn't proper DJing". Its infuriating. I wish people would just accept things for what they are. Some people like to use controllers, some people dont. Instead we just end up measuring dick sizes all of the time.

Like I said i'm actually looking forward to seeing some performance videos. I'll try to remember to link a few that I like when I get home from work. There was a guy who used to post on here but has been away for some time. He started a mix competition where 6 people chose 12 tracks (2x techno, 2 House, 2 DnB etc) and people entered a mix that used all 12 tracks. Some of the entries were mind blowing. The guy who started the thread used effects and little loops to seamlessly mix tracks that were over 100 BPM apart and off beat. No way on Earth I could get even close to replicating that with software never mind without. I'll see if I can find it later but that was a half hour mix using Traktor not a 5 minute performance.

Incidentally there was also a guy who used to go on and on about how sync allowed him more time to be creative and he posted a mix. He got ripped to shit by another forum member (Makar1 I think) who posted a minute by minute account of all of the mistakes the guy made. He must have listed over 50 mistakes for a 30 minute mix. Brutal feedback (but most of it pretty justified).

The next post better be a performance video or i go into itchy mod finger mode
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast