NEW Pioneer XDJ-R1 - LiveMix, Review & Introduction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default NEW Pioneer XDJ-R1 - LiveMix, Review & Introduction

I had the pleasure to do a mix and review of the new Pioneer XDJ-R1 workstation for the guys of recordcase.de

Enjoy the video,
    let me know if you have questions about the workstation, i will do my best to help

Default Questions

Hi,

First off, nice mixing you got going there!

I have some questions since i'm looking into buying the XDJ-R1.

*How does the hardware compare to regular CDJ's/DJM hardware. Is it roughly the same? (Does it seem durable/feel like quality stuff?)

*Does the buttons/pots/slider/jogs feel like other pioneer CDJ's/DJM-products?

*What functions/effects/pots etc. do you miss on this thing? Is there some kind of "slip-mode" right out of the box (without the use of software)?

*What cables follow with the r1? Is there only a USB-cable and power-cable in the package?

I'm pretty new to mixing, been producing for a while though. I want something that i can use for some years both with and without a computer. This grabs my interest since it seems to be great for home use and the fact that it's roughly the same stuff as most the clubs have these days. I was looking into a controller since prices are high on most CDJ/DJM-products but this is a game-changer!

Anyway, hope you can spare some time to answer these questions. Thanks!

sebastiannz

Thanks for the review mate. How do you compare it to the Kontrol S4? What are the pros and cons in comparison? If you had to choose which one would you go for?

Tech Convert

Hello there,
    Find my answers "in-line"
    *How does the hardware compare to regular CDJ's/DJM hardware. Is it roughly the same? (Does it seem durable/feel like quality stuff?)
    it is exactly the same, all buttons feels like buttons from the CDJ series. Typical Pioneer quality. CDs loading quickly like from CDJ series.

exactly the same, except the jogs. They are smaller than the CDJ-850, 900 or 2000. They feel like CDJ-350 jogs and are accurate

*What functions/effects/pots etc. do you miss on this thing? Is there some kind of "slip-mode" right out of the box (without the use of software)?

i have a DJM-900 at home and always working with the Space FX. I would miss it on the R1. Also i miss a Slicer and Loop Mode like from DDJ-SX. But you can t have everything ;-) and DDJSX and R1 are totally different. By the way i loved to use the Pitch Effect from the R1. good stuff!!!

*What cables follow with the r1? Is there only a USB-cable and power-cable in the package?
    Like always, only USB and Power cable :-/

Thanks for the review mate. How do you compare it to the Kontrol S4? What are the pros and cons in comparison? If you had to choose which one would you go for?
    Pro R1: Better Quality, more solid. Bigger Jogwheels than S4, also you can scratch better than with the S4. Better FX control.

Con R1: Only 2 Channels, Heavier & bigger than the S4

When it comes to my needs, i would personly go with a Turntable Set, DJM-900 Mixer Controllers can t beat the classic Setup and Vinyl feeling. When i would go with a controller, i would go with the DDJ-SX. When i need a workstation to be very flexibel, or if i would own a club, i would get me the XDJ-R1.

I hope i was a help

how accurate are the pitch faders?

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by MrEofRPSFam View Post
    Hello there,
    Find my answers "in-line"
    it is exactly the same, all buttons feels like buttons from the CDJ series. Typical Pioneer quality. CDs loading quickly like from CDJ series.

exactly the same, except the jogs. They are smaller than the CDJ-850, 900 or 2000. They feel like CDJ-350 jogs and are accurate

i have a DJM-900 at home and always working with the Space FX. I would miss it on the R1. Also i miss a Slicer and Loop Mode like from DDJ-SX. But you can t have everything ;-) and DDJSX and R1 are totally different. By the way i loved to use the Pitch Effect from the R1. good stuff!!!

Like always, only USB and Power cable :-/

Pro R1: Better Quality, more solid. Bigger Jogwheels than S4, also you can scratch better than with the S4. Better FX control.

Con R1: Only 2 Channels, Heavier & bigger than the S4

When it comes to my needs, i would personly go with a Turntable Set, DJM-900 Mixer Controllers can t beat the classic Setup and Vinyl feeling. When i would go with a controller, i would go with the DDJ-SX. When i need a workstation to be very flexibel, or if i would own a club, i would get me the XDJ-R1.

I hope i was a help
    thanks

I loock like you are running rekordbox liberary from your iPhone to USB port. So would it be possible to have lets say all your songs on an iPod connected to XDJ-R1 and use an iPad in wireles mode controlling the liberary on the iPod as it's possible with and USB drive?
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Convert

Thanks for the video! I love watching reviews and mixes so this video was great for me in two aspects haha

Tech Convert

very accurate and large sized, like the CDJ series

Tech Convert

i didn t play from the Rekordbox Library ;-) I just used the Aux Input of the R1 and played the acapella from my music library on my iphone, which is synced to my iTunes ;-)
    You can control the R1 with your iPod or iPad, but the songs should be on your Rekordbox Library on your USB Stick ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast