Beginner help?

Thread: Beginner help?

Default Beginner help?

Hey guys so my budget is between 200-300. I'm looking to get a midi controller/pad. I found an APC40 for 180, is the APC40 a good place to start? I see that it doesn't have touch sensitive which I'm not to sure how much of a difference that is going to make? Is there other controllers you guys would recommend? I'm also looking at the arturia sparkle. For software I plan on using ableton, i hear it's hard to learn and has a steep learning curve perhaps you guys could also share what software you use? In all honesty I know nothing when it comes to making music on the computer, i play instruments, constantly self made beats being produced in my head and I really just want to start getting these thoughts to digital!

Thanks guys!

The APC40 looks like a great piece of equip. I'm just deciding to try Ableton as well. I'll be following this thread closely. On another note my buddy sent me a link about bitwig software which has similar functions to live. I don't know anyone yet using bitwig and the mods didn't approve my post asking if anyone was using it.
    Last edited by twistedpickles; 07-31-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    Equip: 1200's, mixer, Traktor, & Traktor Kontrollers
    mixcloud www.mixcloud.com/modernrockmix

APC40 is amazing! I had the 20 and it changed my mixing and production workflow for the better! :-) i sold it to afford the upgrade to the 40. :-) integrates with live ssooo well! You power it on, bam. Everything works! :-)
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I genuinely don't think there is a better than the APC 40 for live use - everything is reflected exactly as it is on the screen.

Lots of other controllers may have more features and potentially more powerful control but for a perfect 1:1 plug and play screen reflected mapping nothing comes close. Its insanely priced.

If I were you I'd take a look at Maschine as well, bearing in mind that it comes with the entire package for less than Ableton + APC
    Last edited by deevey; 08-01-2014 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I genuinely don't think there is a better than the APC 40 for live use - everything is reflected exactly as it is on the screen.

Lots of other controllers may have more features and potentially more powerful control but for a perfect 1:1 plug and play screen reflected mapping nothing comes close. Its insanely priced.

If I were you I'd take a look at Maschine as well, bearing in mind that it comes with the entire package for less than Ableton + APC

Does Maschine use different software i'm assuming comes with? Easier to use then ableton?

hey in this video, what is the blue thing he is using on the left ,is it possible to do that affect without it, it seems really neat, effortless just holding your hand over it?

would it be beneficial to have a maschine and apc 40? I'm looking at this maschine right now,
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Native-Instru...827bdfa&_uhb=1