Another new guy. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Student

Hey man,

Welcome to Manchester! I started uni here 2 and a bit years ago and having a great time.

Just wondering what nights do you go to considering your taste in music? As i'm sure you know there are some quality nights for electro house, tech, minimal etc.
    Are you in the fallowfield area?

joe
    13" MacBook Pro, DJ TechTools VCI 100 SE, Audio 8 DJ, Timecode Vinyl & CD

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by daviwandeag View Post
    Alrite bruv, uni of or man met? Let me know how you get on with your vci, i might get one!
    Manchester Uni :P Yeah i'll let you know how i get on with it. Ordered the Custom Arcade VCI and it should be arriving any day now. I'll post a few pics of my setup once i've sorted it out

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by steveymac View Post
    Manchester Uni :P Yeah i'll let you know how i get on with it. Ordered the Custom Arcade VCI and it should be arriving any day now. I'll post a few pics of my setup once i've sorted it out
    same here stevey. what year?
    13" MacBook Pro, DJ TechTools VCI 100 SE, Audio 8 DJ, Timecode Vinyl & CD

Almost makes me feel like the party pooper on such a MIDI oriented site, but I'd really start out with decks. It'll help train your ears tremendously and will also force you to rely on your feeling for the music. After that, you can still move to a VCI100 (or any other controller) and take it to the next level (or just integrate both with TSP).

Disclaimer.. I'm from the group of people that believes using helpers (sync/grids) is perfectly okay IF you can also live without it... opinions vary here

Quote Originally Posted by daviwandeag View Post
    Thanks a lot for the big reply man, i'm not sure whether to start doing everything via a program like traktor or just buying some decks and a mixer. All a bit too much to be fair, there are so many routes you can go down.

What would you guys say is the best idea for a beginner as i have got to the point where i defiantly need something to control the decks eqs and effects whether its on decks or via my mac?!

Exactly what i thought Krome but the equipment is a fortune! Any advice

Im currently living in Salford, but planning on moving to Fallowfeild next year. Its my first year at uni so i am just getting to know Manc and what events they have goin on. Its my flat mate who has got me in to all these different types of House music so where ever he says is good i just follow

The only thing i know about is Sankeys and i love it any night on the weekend Just way too expensive.

Tech Guru

Hi man!!
    Well, I'm a bit ahead from you in the path of begginers DJs.
    I've bought this week my first setup as follow bellow:

Oxygen 8 V2 25 Keys + Generic Sustain Pedal using Ean's Original Mapping
    Dell Vostro 1310 3gb with WinXP SP3 (it's my working laptop also)
    Numark DJIO - Traktor Pro 1.2.1
    Generic Headphones and Mouse for mixing

It's a lot cheaper then my dream setup (Macbook, Firestudio Mobile, VCI-100 Arcade, Sennheiser HD25), but I'm pretty happy with it. Ean's mapping of Oxy is gorgeous for electrohouse and minimal, because of the effects mapped (delay, beatmasher, slice, filter), you can do a lot of breakbeat moves and the workflow of playing with two clone decks applying the effects only at bass or only at hats and so on is awesome to me.

I'm still trying to figure out how to mix two musics only with mouse (as I don't have volume+EQ+crossfader controls mapped)

I've never played on a CDJ+mixer and I don't even want to play at it, you can learn the basics directly at Traktor if you want. Just turn sync off, remove the beatgrids and imagine that you are playing on CDJs.

Just my Background: I always wanted work with the TOP Technology. I work on IT Industry as a Oracle Database Admin in my normal job, and as a DJ Amateur I'm trying to keep my quest for the TOP technology and innovative solutions for the old problems, thats why I'm here.
    Don't be shy to say that you'd never played on a CDJ, be proud to say that you've learned the TOP techniques to DJ with the top technology. The great scientists based on their TOP precursors to create innovative new things.

Tech Guru

We have an old blog post that explains really well how to old-school mix two tracks with traktor and why we need to learn it for more creative options of mixing. Ready it and try to understand it fully before you choose your path.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/06/1...ching-for-all/

Edit: And you don't need a controller to do it, just map the buttons on your notebook keybord, the objective is to master the technique for now until you can make a choice of a digital or analog setup. I didn't tried this but I'll try it at home soon.
    Last edited by V-Hoff; 10-30-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123