New Multitouch monitors, will this lead to a DIY Lemur?
    Tech Wizard

Default New Multitouch monitors, will this lead to a DIY Lemur?

So now with popular operating systems like Windows 7 and OSX now supporting multitouch interfaces and monitors, as well as the recent release of several new multitouch laptops, pads, and monitors like this new one from HP:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/h...touch-monitor/

How difficult would it be to use one of these to start designing a midi touch interface for use with Traktor or Ableton? Has anyone tried using a touch interface yet to interact with dj software in place of a dedicated controller like the VCI? Personally I think the actual controls in software like Traktor are too small to use reliably with an interface like that, but I was wondering if you could use one as a secondary monitor with a custom designed touch interface. Any thoughts on how to implement this in practice though?

Sorry, I know this post is somewhat rambling, but with all the recent releases in the computing world it really got me thinking of how this will allow us to take digital dj'ing a step forward. With these new screens now costing less than a new VCI-100 I wouldn't be surprised if they started to grow in popularity (of course this would also depend a lot on how responsive they are). If only I had the computer know-how to actually implements something like that...

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience with something like this?

yes it will lead to a DIY lemur and beyond IMO. I have been experimenting with monotouchlive (see my thread about it) and also Usine which is a build your own touch interface modular environment. this is only on a single touch tabletpc but i predict people are doing to do some awesome stuff with multitouch and programs like usine, PD and that Max for live.

From my experiences its best to use the touchscreen part as a supplement to traditional controllers, additionally i still like to use a mixer but i that's the way i roll.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

You know I was thinking the same thing the other day...

And yes, multitouch screens will revolutionize the way we interact with applications. Just like the DJ went from the classic turntables to CD's to controllers, next thing will definitely be touch based. And not only from a strictly multitouch perspective but also see a graphic overhaul as more computer oriented products incorporate more powerful and cheap graphic solutions like the Nvidia Tegra that will allow more posibilities in how we interact with the GUI.

I can easily imagine a touch based traktor made in 3D, just like a 3D city in any video game, that when you touch that part of the virtual deck it will zoom and allow to use the other hand for further control. Definitely something like this in a powerful tablet notebook would make a lot of sense.

Check out the Microsoft Courier <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI> for an example of multitouch efficiency.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

The only real difference between a Lemur and any other touchscreen monitor is that it's built to lay flat, and that it has software to basically design your own GUI and define how you control your midi and OSC messages. That's basically it.

If someone comes up with the software similar to the Lemur, then it's probably going to be game over for the Lemur at it's current price. Judging by the "currently being redesigned" banner flying at Jazzmutant, I'm guessing that they know there is going to be competition and they need to act quick to stay ahead of the pack.

I love touchscreen tech, and it adds a bunch of options that aren't available with normal controllers. The future is going to be a great thing in this department.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Wizard

Wow I hadn't heard of monotouch live. Thats pretty sweet looking! I think the next big step though is, like DJPhaidon said above, having software that would allow you to set up a custom layout instead of just using the one that MTL has. The thought of having an instantly reconfigurable controller for the same price as a single purpose one now would be HUGE!

take a look at the usine vids, it's as custom as you want it to be, not saying it's the end all be all of interfaces, but it gives examples of how the future might look.

I think that the real reason that Usine, Lemur, and touch-based controllers in general haven't exploded, other than the price, is that most of the interfaces right now are self programmed or require a pretty in depth knowledge or learning of the customization process. There isn't really a defined setup, which is beautiful and leads to amazing inspirations and other ways to do things. It's similar in idea to a monome, in that it's unlimited in it's customization, which is just beginning to be accepted in mass, judging from the number of copycats emerging.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Wow, Pablo, I have definitely been in the dark for a long time, as I never checked into Live. A friend once suggested it, but when he described it, I didn’t really catch on, I suppose; I come from the old “tracker” days, so I was happy with Buzz for a long time, and then drifted away from music production altogether for a while. Now I’m looking at BEAST (BSE) — it’s a lot of work (even moreso than Buzz, TBH) setting up the “machines”, but it allows the kind of fine-tuning nitpickery that I love. :-] Basically, I hope to get my KS Pro 88 “wired” to some BEAST machines, and then the real fun can begin. And yes, Live on Linux would be a treat, I reckon — from the hoards of enthusiastic users I’ve encountered to this point.

My best to all on the thread here; civil yet not milque-toast — and damn all who disagree! :-D

http://www.mimomonitors.com/

This could be a cool and cheap way to add multitouch and screen real estate to your existing set ups.

I can imagine so many uses for this in a setup
    Last edited by DJPhaidon; 11-05-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Tech Mentor

It is now looking fairly certain that Apple are going to announce a 10" touchscreen tablet in January next year in the $600-$800 price bracket. Once this is out I'm sure a flood of software for it like the iPhones TouchOSC will follow, and then your prayers will pretty much be answered... mine will be anyway!