Advice/Feedback Needed: Switching from 1200s to CDJs??

Default Advice/Feedback Needed: Switching from 1200s to CDJs??

Hi Everyone,

I am relatively new to the Forum. I started Djing five years ago with the Numark Mixtrack Pro, down the road I upgraded to a Traktor Kontrol S4, and then about 2.5 years ago I made the switch to Turntables. I started with NI's Audio 6 hooked up to Technics 1200s and a cheap battle mixer, but quickly released I lost a lot of the creativity that I had with the S4 (To this day, I still think the S4 is one of the best controllers made).

So to combat this I bought a Kontrol X1 and Dicers, and things were great. I then upgraded the A6,Mixer, dicers, and X1 for A Kontrol Z2, and it was an amazing setup. I moved to Germany earlier this year and sold my setup. I am coming back to the States and am considering different options with the setup I buy..

The old me would run to the nearest listing for 1200's and buy them. But in the eight months I have been here in Germany, my music taste has changed to more electronic, and I am considering buying CDJ's. I saw a listing for Pioneer CDJ 800's for $500. What is your guys' advice on this? I have never used CDJ's before so I have no clue what to expect. I want to still be able to mix/do some scratching on hip hop tracks. Is this a switch someone has done before and can give me some advice???

Thanks,

Nate

Tech Mentor

What is your reason to consider CDJ's instead of a controller. Because you said you liked your S4.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    What is your reason to consider CDJ's instead of a controller. Because you said you liked your S4.
    I liked it but in hindsight the jogwheels were just too small. I don't think it would be easy to go from Technics size platters to the S4

Tech Mentor

Ok, but there are other controllers out there as well. What about the DDJ series, like the SX or even SZ? That would be way cheaper than a CDJ setup with almost exactly the same feel. The DDJ series works fine with Traktor as long as you don't do any serious scratching, there are very good mappings out there. I use the SR and I'd say it works better with Traktor than with Serato.

Tech Guru

There's just something about CDJs that make them a ton of fun compared to controllers. Some people think otherwise though.

I don't regret making the move from Traktor to CDJs one bit.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Mentor

I don't say he shouldn't, I'm asking why he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    Ok, but there are other controllers out there as well. What about the DDJ series, like the SX or even SZ? That would be way cheaper than a CDJ setup with almost exactly the same feel. The DDJ series works fine with Traktor as long as you don't do any serious scratching, there are very good mappings out there. I use the SR and I'd say it works better with Traktor than with Serato.
    Thanks for the advice man! I am going to check out the DDJs. I guess honestly I didn't consider it too much

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    There's just something about CDJs that make them a ton of fun compared to controllers. Some people think otherwise though.

I don't regret making the move from Traktor to CDJs one bit.
    How do you like your CDJ setup? Have you ever tried the Denon 3500 crossbreed decks?