Making a leap from DJ Controller to CDJ players
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    toka

Default Making a leap from DJ Controller to CDJ players

Hey,

I started my DJ career with a Traktor S2 DJ Controller due to a limited budget to learn the craft of DJing and to be able to express my passion to spread good music in lounges and clubs. However i now feel that the time has come for me to upgrade my setup and invest in CDJ players and a DJ mixer. I feel that all clubs and lounges still would not mind if you play on their equipment and bring your own USB stick.

What is the CDJ models i should invest in? Which DJ mixer? Any budget models and is it worth buying second hand online?

Tech Mentor

pioneer cdj 850 and above and the mixer would be pioneer DJM 850 and above.....basically club standard, of course there are other CDJs and other mixers but this is what you will find in about 95% of all clubs

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by toka View Post
    I feel that all clubs and lounges still would not mind if you play on their equipment and bring your own USB stick.
    I'm sure they won't mind

Quote Originally Posted by toka View Post
    What is the CDJ models i should invest in? Which DJ mixer? Any budget models and is it worth buying second hand online?
    Depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

The CDJs on clubs usually the best available on the market (or very close to it), so, if you want to train for club playing you should get the best possible CDJ. But they are ignorantly expensive, so money might be a problem.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Mentor

I'm curious, why exactly do you want to invest in CDJ's? You say it is an upgrade, so what do you think will be the improvement?

What you're describing is less of a leap, and more of a really small sidestep...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    sidestep...
    I read that and the 'Cha Cha Slide' just popped into my head. Yikes.
    I'm going back to bed

Tech Guru

You don't really have to get a DJM850. DJM800 works just fine. Hell, even an older DJM will work.

I've been practicing with a cheap Denon DN-X1500 mixer.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Get some 850's. They go relatively cheap on ebay/craiglist. If you can play with them, you can play with every other "better" player. An 850 give you the right amount of tools to learn all the important functions of a CDJ.

If you really want to get familiair with the pio-effects, buy a DJM 750 or 800 (a DJM 750 will cover all the effects of the more expensive DJM's). If you don't use effects, every decent 4 channel mixer will do (denon, reloop?)

I would recommend to use recordbox (usb). At this time, most clubs have cdj's with usb. You only need to analyse your tracks once with RB and you can rock the 350's, 850's, 900's, 900 nexus, 2000's and 2000 nexus!

In case the venue has some cdj's with no usb-function, burn some cd's (the 850's work fine cd's).
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    You don't really have to get a DJM850. DJM800 works just fine. Hell, even an older DJM will work.

I've been practicing with a cheap Denon DN-X1500 mixer.
    Yes, any Pioneer CDJ & DJM will be good enough for training, the only difference is that the better the equipment is the more functions it has. So you will be prepared to use those advanced functions in the club.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Wizard

Check out pioneers XDJ-R1 Controller. You can use it as standalone (just with USB/CD'S) or hool it up to a laptop and use VDJ with it...but i just use mine as standalone with usb. It has rekord box capabilities too. The unit is similar to a pair of 850's and djm 850. But for a third of the price. The layout is the same as all the other pioneers stuff so its perfect for practising on at home to get you prepared for the club circuit. I highly reccomend it. Sure, you dont get as many effects as Traktor so in that respect it is not really an upgrade at all, but that if you want to be prepared for the Pionner infested clubs,invest in this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast