Laptop suggestions?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Laptop suggestions?

I need a new laptop. Mostly will be using it for live performance with Traktor or Ableton. Also will be using it a little bit for graphic design and audio production, but I have a good desktop for that. I'm not a fan of Macs, so P.C. suggestions only please. Have my eye on a couple different Lenovos right now, but there are probably a few I don't know about or haven't thought of. Budget around $1500. Thanks for any help!

Honestly, a Mac does the job really well. And it can run Windows better than most PC's can, ironically. But if you absolutely need a windows laptop, anything around $750 should do the trick. Just make sure it has a lot of ram, a big hard drive, and a decent processor.

Tech Wizard

Also, get one with good, solid casing, preferably aluminium. Make sure to twist and test it a bit before buying, so that you know you get a sturdy and solid one.

Dual-core i5 mobile CPU with 4GB RAM is more than enough to run Traktor properly.
    CMD MM-1 - CMD PL-1 - Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk2 - Traktor Kontrol F1 - NI Komplete Audio 6/Traktor Audio 2 Mk2
    My setup history
    Mixcloud page

Tech Wizard

Just for the record, MacBooks are PCs too.

Lenovo do pretty good laptops (loads of RAM, disk space and dual core processors) that can be had very cheaply. If you're short on cash they're worth a look.

Tech Mentor

Mac PC, whatever..

I'd just go for the fastest i7 you can find and fill it with RAM. SSD is nice and at that price you should be able to get one.

ASUS or Lenovo.

As someone currently in the market for a new laptop, I've heard a perspective I hadn't heard before.

Someone suggested that Macs are much less likely to glitch playing live than non-Mac PCs and as such it is heavily worth considering this. Could anyone chime in with some advice here?

This was my post on a series of other forums:

I am looking to buy a laptop to take around with me and my Push so that I can work on my beats away from home, as I'm not at home for most of the day. I will also use it to DJ using Traktor Pro 2, connected to a range of DJ equipment.

I was looking at high end laptops, but I'd really rather not spend too much money on one at the moment. I'd rather upgrade my existing desktop as it'll be cheaper and better for mixing and mastering.

This being said then, what sort of spec would suit me for a laptop to just run Ableton and to have Traktor Pro 2? Would it be worth me buying a used or refurbed MBP? Never been much of a Mac user as I think they're overpriced, but prepared to consider it, if I find the right deal.

I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what people on here think.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmDeXXX View Post
    As someone currently in the market for a new laptop, I've heard a perspective I hadn't heard before.

Someone suggested that Macs are much less likely to glitch playing live than non-Mac PCs and as such it is heavily worth considering this. Could anyone chime in with some advice here?

This was my post on a series of other forums:
    My personal opinion.

If you know how to Maintain, troubleshoot and Streamline your Windows install, and are not stupid with what and where you download files from and what you open from other people, get a PC it will be fine and cheaper.

If you want for everything just to work out of the box, and feel like your time would be better spent making music from the very first time your switch your Machine on - get a Mac

Any Mac from the past few years will do the trick in terms of speed.

Sent from a 6 year old Core2Duo Macbook pro 13 first edition, 8GB ram, Mavericks - while editing a 6000px x 2000px image in photoshop, switching between 3 browsers and logic running in the background with 25+ arpeggiated synths and drum loops.
    Last edited by deevey; 06-10-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Schalenberg

Dell XPS 13 or 15.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast