Using a Xone DB2/DB4 to digitise vinyl.

Default Using a Xone DB2/DB4 to digitise vinyl.

Hey Guys,

I can't quite get my head around this one.
    The Xone DB2/DB4 has a USB Routing feature and it allows for routing the 'Record' out to the sound card. To me this sounds perfect for digitising my vinyl.

In theory I should be able to open Garageband, select the sound card as the input, hit record and away we go.
    However, Garageband or Logic, I've tried all input channels and I can't get any signal in, am I doing something wrong?

Very few recording softwares have the posibility to record from a single USB channel (it's something about ASIO drivers), make sure Garageband & Logic are among them.

On the other hand, Traktor functions perfectly for such tasks
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Traktor? I have never even considered that. Surely digitising vinyl records through Traktor is a strange way to go about it?

Why would it be strange, it's how us with internal sound interface mixers record mixes for several years... Route master out (7/8) to USB, set Traktor to external recording, select which input (channel D for example), record in *.wav then use Audacity to normalize/clear crackling/etc. and encode in 320kbps mp3.

There are several topics here covering that.

I totally understand the formats, and the proper methods to clear it up etc. Using Traktor seems like a shame when I have two perfectly good DAW's at my disposal. It's got to be a switch somewhere or a way of recording in through USB. I wish someone would just make a decent app for recording vinyl in, wav format with encoding options, easy to use. So much messing around.

Tech Convert

Try Adobe Audition

Tech Mentor

you should not have any issues selecting a stereo signal from your xone into your software. In ableton I just choose the inputs to record from on a channel and record into a clip without issue from a xone 3d.

the USB sound card will not have an issue sending a signal to the DAW of your choice.

I've not used logic in ages and I forget where you setup it's I/O routing..

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Using Traktor seems like a shame when I have two perfectly good DAW's at my disposal.
    Don't think that using DAW's will give you better quality recording. If you have Traktor, use it.

Traktor records in WAVS so if its easier to set it up like that, then why not. All you are doing is recording so it does not matter how you do it. Personally i use audition for this kind of thing as you need it for de-clicking/de-essing and getting it levelled etc anyway.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "