Question about a track I am working on.
    Tech Convert

Default Question about a track I am working on.

Okay so im getting back into making music again, and instead of forcing myself to try and make House (Which im terrible at btw) Im just making whatever i feel like and sounds cool to me. Now I have this 1 minute sample of the track im working on currently, and im not sure what type of genre it would even be called. im also having a hard time coming up with a bass line for it.does it need a "Bass" line? or should i just put Bassy leads or something in it. or something like sub bass. i dont know, tell me what you think. i know i deffinitly need some keys or leads in there somewhere and that will come eventually

TLDR:What type of music am i making and what kind of sounds does it need lol

Sounds like you were in the middle of a synth jam :P My answer will probably suck, but all those things you mentioned, try them all, and try different variations of each, and then stick with what sounds best.

Tech Mentor

I think I'd just classify this as "bass" music. Trap, glitch-hop. something along those lines.

As far as making a "bass line" try thinking outside the box a little. Instead of it having to be incredibly melodic try paying around with pitching bass/kick drums or toms. I find analog drum samples such as 808s, CR78s, and 909s are good for this. Hopefully that idea helps or at least inspires you to do something else.

Good luck

It sounds like rap music to me. There's a shit load of bass, don't necessarily need a bassline. Just try it out and see how it sounds.

Just you should improve your mixing. Percussions and bass/kick are way too loud compared to the "lead".

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    It sounds like rap music to me. There's a shit load of bass, don't necessarily need a bassline. Just try it out and see how it sounds.

Just you should improve your mixing. Percussions and bass/kick are way too loud compared to the "lead".
    I hear you there, i EQ'ed on some shitty sony ear buds and it sounds perfect on those, but on a home theater set up it is all off, and on my phone speaker you can't hear any bass just hi hats lol

Thanks for the input everyone, ill post an updated clip soon.

Tech Wizard

This is cool man, I think you kind of answered your own question a little when you said that you are just working on whatever you feel like and sounds cool. Just go with whatever you think sounds good, don't try and limit yourself to a genre again, who knows, you might end up creating a new one!
    Pioneer Xdj R1 - Krk Rokit 5's - Krk Rokit 10s - Krk Kns 8400