Which Studio Monitor?

Default Which Studio Monitor?

I am just starting up and want to start mixing and eventually down the line create some music at home. I will be set up in an apartment... So I am deciding between Rokit 5 & Rokit 6 and also do people usually buy a pair or just 1? Thanks!

Tech Convert

I own a pair of rokit 5 g3's. Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic, but the lows aren't the best. If you're a dubstep fan or want to hear those low 808's, [insert meme here] you're going to have a bad time. If you have the cash to burn, go with the 6's. I myself am debating on getting a new pair of 6's, even 8's would be great because I have a fairly large room and I need to fill it with some noise. And do not forget to treat your room. If you're going to start producing, or need to hear every detail in your mixes, this is crucial because it will suck thinking your lows are set perfectly in realtime, but then listen to it on another system and find out they're overpowered or non-existent. So in summation, 5's are great, they can fill a small/medium room quite well and they are incredibly accurate for their price, but if you can, don't limit yourself to the 5's and go for the 6's for a more accurate low end.

First off, you should get a pair. You produce in stereo, not mono.

I use JBL. 2 speakers and a subwoofer. Sub for low end... without them you can't feel the bass.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Shokace View Post
    I own a pair of rokit 5 g3's. Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic, but the lows aren't the best. If you're a dubstep fan or want to hear those low 808's, [insert meme here] you're going to have a bad time. If you have the cash to burn, go with the 6's. I myself am debating on getting a new pair of 6's, even 8's would be great because I have a fairly large room and I need to fill it with some noise. And do not forget to treat your room. If you're going to start producing, or need to hear every detail in your mixes, this is crucial because it will suck thinking your lows are set perfectly in realtime, but then listen to it on another system and find out they're overpowered or non-existent. So in summation, 5's are great, they can fill a small/medium room quite well and they are incredibly accurate for their price, but if you can, don't limit yourself to the 5's and go for the 6's for a more accurate low end.
    The 6s have adequate bass but you'll still want more. I added the KRK 10s to a pair of RP6s instead of getting bigger monitors, it's nice.

There is no debate here. Buy the cheaper 5's and purchase a sub.

***I personally own Mackie 8's and an M-Audio Sub. You will never get the bass you are wanting from 5's, 6's, or even 8's. I speak from experience.***
    1200 Hustle Turntablist & DJ // Sector 15 DJ // Liquids Nightclub Resident
    Technic 1200's // Rane 62 // MacBook Pro Retina // Ton of vinyl
    www.facebook.cm/DJLayinLo
    https://soundcloud.com/djlayinlo