How to tell if a turntable is in proper working condition
    Tech Convert

Post How to tell if a turntable is in proper working condition

So there is this guy who is selling two gemini xl-dd50 IV turntables. He says they are in working condition, but have been sitting around for ten years without a dust cover. How does this affect the turntable? will ten years of dust damage the turntable? is it just a matter of cleaning the outside and inside of the turntable?

Thanks, James

Check the tone arm to see if it is bent, the only factor I could think of that could effect the working order of the turntable is whether or not it was stored in humid conditions. Dust shouldn't be a big ordeal unless it got baked on under the sun or if water is a factor.

You might have to replace the needle or cartridge but I would probably plug it in & see how it spins. If there is a mad wobble then the plate is damaged or is not placed on the unit correctly.

I am not the guru of turntables , this is what I could think of through my experience of owning tt's for 6 years though.

Tech Mentor

put a record on and make sure you get a good signal out of both channels, I've had the contacts corrode inside of the tonearm needing the tonearms to be replaced.

Make sure the platter spins consistent. Setting it to 0 and using the strobe pattern will make a speed wobble apparent. I've had to replace the shaft on a turntable before..

These are the two things I've seen myself.

Check the stop and start action of the TT. Also check for corrosion around the tone arm where the cartrdige attaches. Check for bends in the tone arm. Check the pitch sliders for proper movement and feel and TT response to where you move them. Otherwise, there is no reason a properly cared for or un-abused table shouldn't work for many many years.
    1200 Hustle Turntablist & DJ // Sector 15 DJ // Liquids Nightclub Resident
    Technic 1200's // Rane 62 // MacBook Pro Retina // Ton of vinyl
    www.facebook.cm/DJLayinLo
    https://soundcloud.com/djlayinlo