[House] Sherman Ate Her (Original Mix/Production w/ free d/l)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sherman Ate Her (Original Mix/Production w/ free d/l)

Would love to know what you think!

Playing around with Zebra2 on this one.

2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Will check it out when I get home so I can use my monitors

Crappy earbuds will suffice so you can't tell all the mixing mistakes I made!

Actually I spent a LOT of time mixing and re-arranging to get things playing in their own frequency ranges and stick out...
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

haha

Do you mixdown as you go? Do you finish the track and then go back and adjust each track? When you EQ, do you solo the channel and Eq that way or do you EQ it during the entire mix?

I think it sounds pretty polished.

There isn't much bass weight to the track. The bass drum is punchy. I would say you have maybe eq'd a little too much 2khz area into it. It's a tad too clicky and a bit loud in the mix. It's got good punch to it though. At 1.36 you could have maybe added a weightier and deeper bass drum in addition. Bass line needs bringing out and more bass adding to it as BD is obscuring it. I like how everything else sits together. Gets quite wacky in the middle
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Tim liked my new track

I feel honored

lol
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

I wish I could post it but the broad won't make me my cover artwork

@Kwal
    I do a bit of mixing as I go volume wise, maybe verb wise, etc. then at the end as well. I EQ solo for high and low passing as I go as well as at the end after the arrangement for things that aren't showing through enough or too much and to get things to sit well together. But I'm still working out my workflow overall, so...it takes me longer than it ideally should. Would love recommendations though.

@Timbo
    I'm always concerned with it being too bassy, so I probably cut out more than I need to. The kick truthfully should have been ripped out and replaced with a different sample. I tried an 808 that sounds really good on a minimal setup, but then listen in my car and have to get out of my car cause there's so much sub bass on some of those 808s. So I did a lot, probably too much cutting on the kick to just get the punch and try to minimize the rest. And yes, there were notches at 115 and 200 for other areas to "play." I've considered the whole adding another lower kick or sign wave for additional depth once things get started. Perhaps my next tune. I layered the bass to have a lower bassline kick in with the "growl" but again tried to minimize it's effect to avoid too much bass. Finding that balance is tough when you're just starting out.

The wackiness was intended. Was really trying to express musically a hike to the top of a 14k foot mountain called...Mt. Sherman. Basically, these hikes start out all nice and pretty (other than the fact you can't breathe) and then you hit tree line and things get weird, almost alien-like landscape. Then you get to the top and it's beautiful again. (my buddy said he pictured some dude playing an organ in a subway with streaking lights going by) Cheesy maybe, but I try to make my music expressive of something for the most part, so that's my take on it.

Really appreciate the feedback guys! It's very helpful!

I would suggest EQing while everything is playing. It may sound good solo, but what matters is how it sounds in the overall mix. Also, on a lot of sounds it's not enough to just lower the volume on it right away, that messes up your gain staging. You want your sound to peak on it's individual gain before lowering it. This mistake is mainly made with midi signals as samples usually come ready to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast