Mapping slot play mode for remix deck?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Mapping slot play mode for remix deck?

I'm working on a lemur (on iPad) mapping for a single remix deck. Im stuck on one thing... mapping buttons to switch the play mode for a given CELL. Basically I'd like a shift button, that you can hold, and then press a given pad, and change just that pads play mode (toggle between one-shot and loop). The only thing I've found in the Controller Manager is "slot play mode" but when I use that, the Controller Manager only allows me to select (for example) remix deck 3->slot 1

Is it possible to map it up such that each cell can be toggled independently? What I've tried to do is the following:

1) Map a single button to hold, setting Modifier 3 to 1.

2) Map the same button that triggers the cell, to "slot play mode" if Mod 3 is 1. This worked great for the first sample in the first slot, but when I went to map the same thing for the second sample in slot 1, both pads toggled the play mode of the second cell only.

If I can figure this out, I'm going to use the slot play mode output, to change the icon on the pads to represent what play mode each sample cell is using. Lemur kicks ass!

Tech Wizard

Update: UGH. I think I've discovered what I feared. The way 'slot play mode' works is that it will adjust the play mode of the currently selected cell in the given slot. So my ideal 'hold shift and press pad to toggle play mode' doesn't appear possible. Instead the workflow is 'play sample, press another button to toggle play mode' which means, I need 4 friggin play mode buttons (one for each slot). Lame!

Tech Wizard

Hmm.. now I'm at a loss as to how the 'slot play mode' output works. I really want to set the icons for a given cell to indicate whether they are one-shot's or loops but the discovery above makes this feel a bit, impossible.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Hey J5k,

You are correct about Slot Play Mode and how any cell needs to be selected in order to change the setting... The same applies for Slot Trigger Types. I hope NI is working on a new commands for this matter.

Far as your second part of the question goes, you need to play around with 'Controller Range' and set corresponding min/max value to display correct/current cell state.

One-shots: 0 - 0
    Looped: 1 - 1

Hopefully this helps!

Tech Wizard

Thanks Stewe! If I could get away with one button to set play mode for ANY selected cell it would be acceptable, but it feels like I need one button per slot (so four total). Is this not the case?

As for the output, it feels useless ATM. Here's what I want it to look like...load a remix set with some cells set to loop and others set to one-shot. Each looped cell's button would display a "recycle" icon and the one-shots show an arrow icon. I just don't see how to get each cells play mode output distinctly. I don't think the f1 does anything like this... Ala color coding the pads based on play mode.

I assume the same shoddy rules apply to trigger mode (gated vs whatever the other mode is)?

Seriously this doesn't make a bit of sense. When I saw that setting play mode, that the only selectable target was a slot, I was thinking it would set the play mode for every sample in that slot. That's not the case obviously, so uh... Wtf?
    Last edited by J5k; 08-10-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J5k View Post
    Thanks Stewe! If I could get away with one button to set play mode for ANY selected cell it would be acceptable, but it feels like I need one button per slot (so four total). Is this not the case?
    Hmm.. If you set just one button to M=1 (hold mode) and assign cell trigger button to 'Inc' the play mode when M=1, would that do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by J5k View Post
    As for the output, it feels useless ATM. Here's what I want it to look like...load a remix set with some cells set to loop and others set to one-shot. Each looped cell's button would display a "recycle" icon and the one-shots show an arrow icon. I just don't see how to get each cells play mode output distinctly. I don't think the f1 does anything like this... Ala color coding the pads based on play mode.

I assume the same shoddy rules apply to trigger mode (gated vs whatever the other mode is)?

Seriously this doesn't make a bit of sense. When I saw that setting play mode, that the only selectable target was a slot, I was thinking it would set the play mode for every sample in that slot. That's not the case obviously, so uh... Wtf?
    I'm not familiar with Lemur/Ipad setup so please forgive me if I pass this part of the question to other forum members with more knowledge about this templates. I'd assume that you could achieve something like this if you route midi output back in to traktor and set up a couple of modifiers to track and display different states for each of the cells.

Wish you luck mate! What you're trying to create sounds like a cool mapping.

Tech Wizard

Hmm.. If you set just one button to M=1 (hold mode) and assign cell trigger button to 'Inc' the play mode when M=1, would that do the trick?
    Yeah the reverse modifier idea is what I came up with after posting but haven't tested it yet. It makes sense I just ran out of time today to test it out. It just means adding mappings for each button (16) instead of the the one modifier. I think I already have at least one modifier in use for each of those buttons, and would need a third if I wanted to map the gate/whatever modes as well.

As for the output stuff, I need to figure out when and what traktor sends out when a given cells mode changes. The lemur software is super flexible with scripting. I'd need to use a script to change the icons anyway but I don't see how id get it to work when loading a remix set.

Tech Wizard

I haven't gotten to experiment much with this lately, but the modifier idea doesn't feel like it will work, because again the cell has to be selected. Unless I'm missing something fundamental?

Tech Wizard

I agree the commands right now are not of the best design and could be improved upon. As a cell chooser you could trigger the wanted cell, and mute it. Then on invert stop and unmute and change the playmode

Tech Wizard

Thanks, I thought of something like that but it just feels way too complex and tedious to do for something I probably won't use a ton, but would like to have. I'm going to try this... In the lemur template I'm going to somehow highlight the last pressed pad/cell. Then I'll simply have a single button labeled "play mode" and when pressed will switch the mode for that last pressed cell. I'm hoping the output works such that I can at least toggle the icon on this button (iow, I'm guessing the output is also the state of the last triggered cell).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast