Pioneer DDJ-SR Warning

Default Pioneer DDJ-SR Warning

Today I finally purchased a DDJ-SR controller by Pioneer at Guitar Center and I'm glad I got the extended warranty because it just so happens that the unit was basically dead out of the box. At first I was using serato but no sound was coming from the unit, only a random fuzz noise and a quick snap. From there I could get music to play in serato but I couldn't hear it. From a quick search and some reading on Pioneers website I decided to check and update the firmware. During the update the unit froze. Now I have the level indicator blinking at me and am stuck with a unit that will no longer function. I have bad luck...

Anyways, I've sent Pioneer DJ an email and hopefully get a response back from them about the issues I'm having. At least I can return it back to GC if Pioneer does nothing for me. Will also give Pioneer a call tomorrow.

To those who own this controller... Is there a way to do a factory reset? And to anyone wanting this controller so far in my experience it's been rather unworthy of your hard earned cash.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I'd just throw it back at GC and let them sort it out, technically its a DOA - it never worked.

To confirm I would try loading the firmware from a different computer if it makes you feel any better, however you should not need to do a firmware update as soon as you got the unit in order for it to operate.

You should always deal with the dealer first, dealing direct with manufacturers service center could have you waiting a while for a resolve unless there is no alternative (e.g. different country) where GC should just give you a replacement for faulty goods (not a repair).

And yes I have an SR and IMHO it was very worthy of my cash, I think you just got a lemon - it happens.

When I was dealing in DJ mixers back in the late 90's all the budget variety had about a 10% chance of coming back to the shop for some kind of repair work within the first year.
    Last edited by deevey; 08-19-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Heading back to GC tomorrow. They won't have a replacement in stock but I'd at least get my money back. I had loaded the firmware with both my Mac Mini running snow leopard and to my Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion. Had the same experience with both computers so its just a lemon. Still will probably give Pioneer another chance because I've used there CDJ's before.

Tech Mentor

I have an SR as well. Never had a single hiccup with it.

Pioneer contacted me via email and then over the phone this afternoon. They confirmed to me that it was a bad unit claiming that the sound card was dead. So I returned the DDJ-SR to GC and am having a replacement shipped to me. Hopefully this one doesn't have any issues... Will update when it arrives.

Tech Mentor

if it's broken out of the box typically you can take it right back to the store and exchange it. Did GC have anymore in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    if it's broken out of the box typically you can take it right back to the store and exchange it. Did GC have anymore in stock?
    GC didn't have any SR's in stock which is why they ordered one and are having it shipped to me. Got the 2 year extended warranty with the first one so same with this new new one. Frustrating but I'll deal with it. Also got some new cables and whatnot so everything should be fresh this time.