Upgrading my speakers what to get ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Upgrading my speakers what to get ?

Im building a studio and I want to know what people think would be best, I want a surround system for my decks is this a waste of time ? will 2 be enough. I would love speakers surrounding my studio tho 4 or more but I dont know where to start. I want them to be loud but a perect quality sound all I see is sht skytec packages. is it best to get monitor speakers 4 of them hooked up to my decks or what ? I need educationg on sound systems as you see

any ideas budget of around £600

Tech Mentor

If you are just playing stereo tracks you'd be better off spending more on a nice pair of speakers and maybe a sub to go with them.

Tech Guru

What will you be using the speakers for, just your decks or production too?
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    What will you be using the speakers for, just your decks or production too?
    I will be usuing them for my decks but im looking to get a prodcuing set up. so what do you think I should do buy two different types os speakers or get a booming sound system for all. Ive got a new really good job and planning to have a booming setup

Tech Wizard

How big is your room? My DJ/producing room is 8' x 10' and I have two Rokit 5's which is definitely loud enough, and I've never been anywhere near full volume. I could use some more bass though so I'm thinking of adding a sub.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    I will be usuing them for my decks but im looking to get a prodcuing set up. so what do you think I should do buy two different types os speakers or get a booming sound system for all. Ive got a new really good job and planning to have a booming setup
    Personally I'd avoid Rockits, have them, dislike them, looking for an upgrade myself.

With that budget, you have some good options, that would do well for both Djing and production.

Worth checking

Event 20/20 Bas V3 - Around £500
    Adam F7 -
    Equator D8 - Top End at £600
    Yamaha HS8 - Lower end around £400

All have received good reviews, just depends on how much you want to spend.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RajMahal View Post
    How big is your room? My DJ/producing room is 8' x 10' and I have two Rokit 5's which is definitely loud enough, and I've never been anywhere near full volume. I could use some more bass though so I'm thinking of adding a sub.
    I've been near full, and yeah there quite loud, but they aren't very flat frequency wise, big bump in the low end and lack in the mid an hi's.

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    Personally I'd avoid Rockits, have them, dislike them, looking for an upgrade myself.

With that budget, you have some good options, that would do well for both Djing and production.

Worth checking

Event 20/20 Bas V3 - Around £500
    Adam F7 -
    Equator D8 - Top End at £600
    Yamaha HS8 - Lower end around £400

All have received good reviews, just depends on how much you want to spend.
    JBL LSR 305's - same price or maybe even cheaper than Rokit's. Much more flat sound and crystal clear for the price. Pretty much everyone online has raved about these as well at the price point they're at. Rokit's are way bass heavy and not clear at all.

The only problem with the JBL's is they're rear ported so you'll need some space between the wall and speakers. BTW, the JBL LSR sub is nice and priced well as well. While the 305's already have decent bass response, the sub really adds it if you need to mix bass heavy stuff or you're DJ mixing.

I'd avoid any kind of surround setup for DJing personally. Seems like overkill.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

I want them to be loud if i want but clear sound if you know what I mean. thanks for all suggestions. so do people think a surround sound is a bad idea ?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    I want them to be loud if i want but clear sound if you know what I mean. thanks for all suggestions. so do people think a surround sound is a bad idea ?
    if you just have two channel out (ie you are mixing stereo tracks) surround sound isn't possible, you're just sending the same sound out of different angles and adding to the reflections in the room.

A nice sub and monitor system will give you more oomph and a fuller sound for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast