EFX unit suggestions

Default EFX unit suggestions

First I would like to say that I am new to these boards, so hello everyone.

My choice of mixer is the 62. For someone who wants to have the efx flexibility of a djm 900, what hardware effects unit would anyone suggest?

What I'm looking for is something as easy to operate with similar effects and type of effects as those found on a 900. Also oscillator type effects would be an added plus as well as midi sync.

Thanks and G.B.

Tech Mentor

Most popular ones and the nearest to the DJM 900 are the Rmx -1000s & 500s

I have the 500 and like it's simplicity and ease of use, but either will do the job.

Not sure about midi sync though...
    Traktor: Custom 1210s - NI Z2 - F1 - X1
    Rekordbox: CDJ 350s - Xone 23 - Rmx 500
    Production: Ableton - Machine Mk2 - 49 key midi keyboard - KRK 6s

The RMX-1000 and 500 both do audio sync, and a damn good job of it, so no need for MIDI sync.

I use the RMX-1000 at every single show on my master chain (no send/return in Traktor. haha). I LOVE it. I have used an RMX-500 briefly and also really enjoyed it. Might buy one some day.

That being said, deffy check out DJTT's article on guitar pedals in live performance. They are not sync'd in anyway so they can be really quirky, but are really fun.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

If you get a multi Fx pedal like the Boss GT-10b you can sync the midi with your sound card. The options for Fx are huge also. Unlike the individual pedals, you make patches that can configure the different Fx and routing of the Fx, as well as what parameters you want the pedals to change and more.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    The RMX-1000 and 500 both do audio sync, and a damn good job of it, so no need for MIDI sync.

I use the RMX-1000 at every single show on my master chain (no send/return in Traktor. haha). I LOVE it. I have used an RMX-500 briefly and also really enjoyed it. Might buy one some day.

That being said, deffy check out DJTT's article on guitar pedals in live performance. They are not sync'd in anyway so they can be really quirky, but are really fun.
    Do you think they're different beasts entirely (1000 vs 500) or just like a baby and big bro? I personally thought the RMX-500 looked better than the RMX-1000, but I've only looked at YouTube videos.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

I personally really like the multiband EQ effects on the 1000 so I can really target what band I want to delay or whatever. If you just want a basic no bullshit unit the 500 will 110% so the job!

Default reply to all current messages

Thanks everybody.

I completely forgot about guitar FX pedals/racks. I will definitely check into them

I have noticed the rmx 1000 & 500 and do like the units, I just don't agree with those prices for what the units offer.

Have any of you ever used studio rack effects as an alternative?

I forget who, but there's a DJ I've watched before (He does a pretty regularly scheduled podcast.) and he uses two 19" rack mountable dual filters and routes his deck through them. Each filter has like three knobs IIRC. Resonance, Q, and Cutoff.

Tech Wizard

Sell everything you own and buy a DB4. Nothing comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    I forget who, but there's a DJ I've watched before (He does a pretty regularly scheduled podcast.) and he uses two 19" rack mountable dual filters and routes his deck through them. Each filter has like three knobs IIRC. Resonance, Q, and Cutoff.
    Know if the DJ would have any videos on Youtube or anywhere on the net?
    Quote Originally Posted by RossH View Post
    Sell everything you own and buy a DB4. Nothing comes close.
    LOL the 62 I'm talking about is from Rane not the A&H one. Unfortunately I am heavily vested in Serato and don't have an SL box and need long lasting channel and cross faders. The DB4 is definitely a nice mixer with very nice effects but it doesn't suite my needs in the fader department. I also get the odd feeling that the DB4 may see a refresh at this years winter NAMM or not long after, either as Mixxvibes compatible mixer (DB4c) or as a DVS ready Serato mixer (DB4 successor).