Are Pioneer CDJ 1000's (mk2 or 3) still relevant?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are Pioneer CDJ 1000's (mk2 or 3) still relevant?

Just a quick question, thinking about getting into CDJ djing (Using 1210's & TSP at the moment) and want to know if I pick up a pair of cheap CDJ 1000'S (mk2 or 3) for home use is it an easy transition say if I went into a club and jumped on CDJ 2000's (using CD'S)? I really want to drop the whole laptop thingy and just take a CD folder or USB sticks (I know that the 1000's don t have these but I am aiming the question more at how the jogs work) :

Seems like a really silly question when I say it out loud but thought I would ask never the less

Thanks.
    x2 Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3, NI Kontrol Z2, x2 Kontrol D2, Traktor 3, MacBook Pro & MacBook Air 2018

The workflow between a 1000 and 2000 isn't much different. There's just lots of extra stuff on the 2000. Honestly if you "just" want to take something small to a club, why not get some 900s and a SD card reader, and "just" take your SD card?

You'll get fed up with burning CD's very fast.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

I get fed up with updating 1 USB stick, let alone burning CDs.
    Traktor: Custom 1210s - NI Z2 - F1 - X1
    Rekordbox: CDJ 350s - Xone 23 - Rmx 500
    Production: Ableton - Machine Mk2 - 49 key midi keyboard - KRK 6s

Quote Originally Posted by Big Panda View Post
    I get fed up with updating 1 USB stick, let alone burning CDs.
    I got tired of crating albums around...
    ---------------------------
    Greybeard Turntablist
    Z2 / 1200's / X1 MK2 / F1 / Maschine MK2

Tech Guru

Don't buy the 1Ks unless you are strapped for money.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Willis View Post
    Just a quick question, thinking about getting into CDJ djing (Using 1210's & TSP at the moment) and want to know if I pick up a pair of cheap CDJ 1000'S (mk2 or 3) for home use is it an easy transition say if I went into a club and jumped on CDJ 2000's (using CD'S)? I really want to drop the whole laptop thingy and just take a CD folder or USB sticks (I know that the 1000's don t have these but I am aiming the question more at how the jogs work) :
    I just highlighted the two bits that jumped out at me first...i'll touch on the 'drop the laptop' bit in a mo.

You are using 1210s with TSP, you could get a pair of 1000's and use timecode CDS as a direct replacement for the 1210s...I also use TSP with timecode, either on 1210s or my old CDJ800 mk1s...depending only mood. I've often thought about updating my CDJs, but since I'm just using timecode, i never saw the point.

If I'm playing in a venue with a djm900, i don't have to rewire anything, just plug in 1 usb cable, insert my timecode cds into their CDJs (1000, 2000 doesn't really matter) and work away.

On the 'drop the laptop' line, the 1000 MK3s will play mp3 files off a CD...if you wanted to go that way. If you want to be more modern, any of the new CDJs (850, 900, 2000...) will let you play off usb stick and id recommend using rekordbox

IMO i would stick with TSP but use CDJs as a timecode source
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I've said it before and I'll say it again: buying CDJ's to use them with timecode is like going to a hooker for a hug.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Guru

Yea, I think it's silly to use Traktor with CDJs.

If I'm going to use Traktor, I'll just use a controller which will give me a whole ton more options.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Agreed.

It kinda made sense back when you had to burn CDs if you were happy playing on CDJs and just wanted an easier library. I wouldn't do it today.

If you just want to learn how to spin on CDJs, using something like a DDJ-SX or SR, leaving SDJ in it's browser-only view, and ignoring all the extra functions is more cost effective. The biggest downside is having to prep tracks in both SDJ and Rekordbox, you know...assuming you're using the quantized looping and what not.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast