New to DJing, need some tips.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default New to DJing, need some tips.

Hello people.

I want to start in this world of DJing. I've read and saw a lot of information about it, and I want to buy my own gear now, so I can start practising.

My budget is not big and because I'm Portuguese, many of the things are more expensive for me.

So, I think that for a bedroom DJ, I just need a laptop (I've one with a Atom 1.6ghz, 2gb of RAM, and lot's of HD space), a pair of headphones, a good software and a controller.

I'm thinking of this:

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 201
    Controller: Hercules DJ Control MP3 e2
    Software: Traktor Pro (a friend of mine will lend me his license)

And I'll also buy a external sound card so I can pre-listen the songs (I won't buy a good soundcard, just a cheap one with only one jack output).

Is it good? Can it be better?

Tech Mentor

You should look into getting the Audio 2 DJ, and perhaps a different controller if you can afford it. I've heard bad things about the earlier Herc controllers. Maybe look at getting the Steel?
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Convert

I had one of the earlier Hercules controllers and found it a bit 'toyish' - but I was used to using real decks and mixers for many years beforehand.

My advice though is not to get too hung up on the hardware and software - if you're committed to learning how to use your equipment properly and put the time in to practice, you can be a great DJ. Remember, its about the music you play, not the gear you play it on.

And most importantly - have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SAKKA View Post
    I had one of the earlier Hercules controllers and found it a bit 'toyish' - but I was used to using real decks and mixers for many years beforehand.

My advice though is not to get too hung up on the hardware and software - if you're committed to learning how to use your equipment properly and put the time in to practice, you can be a great DJ. Remember, its about the music you play, not the gear you play it on.

And most importantly - have fun!
    well said
    Numark NS7 | Asus U81A - C2D 2.1ghz 4gb 320gb | Serato Itch | Traktor Pro | Homework Help

Tech Convert

Well, in my price range, there's nothing else that I can think about.
    The other controllers are all almost two times the price of this, even steel and mk2.
    This controller is the new version of the previous one (the dj control mp3), and I think that the construction quality of this new version is better.

I'm not thinking in buying one Audio 2 DJ now, because I've only a pair of headphones, and some PC Speakers, so it's no point of having one Audio 2 DJ (except the sound quality, but I can't take advantage of the audio interface sound quality without some good speakers).

The other option that I see, is to buy a standard Mixer, but then I would have to buy a soundcard with 2 audio outputs to control the two decks, and I could only control the EQ, and have a crossfader.

Do you think it's better to have the mixer instead of the controller?

Unless you have either an amp and speakers or powered monitor i think you're going to struggle to cue properly. ie all the music will come out of the same speakers, you won't be able to preview the track you're about to play.

I might be wrong but i don't think you're going to be able to do it running the pc speakers off the computer output.

Just looking at the spec it says:

PC minimum requirements

* 1GHz CPU or higher
    * 512MB RAM or more
    * Windows® XP/Vista 32-bit/64-bit
    * Sound card + stereo speakers

Do you have an amp and speakers with phono inputs? There are no headphone inputs on the DJ Control MP3 e2 for cuing.

Even getting a really cheap 2nd hand amp and speakers off ebay would be worth it. Then I suggest getting an audio 2 dj + maybe an m-audio x-session pro.
    Last edited by MaxOne; 10-26-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

I will use two soundcards.

One will be connected to the PC Speakers, and the other one will be connected to my headphones.

I think it will work this way, but I've never tried it.

Not sure it will, but maybe. Before you get the controller then, i would get the software and make sure that you can set up the output to work with the two soundcards...

are you sure you mean two soundcards? do you mean one soundcard and then the output from the pc?

I would set your output set up first with no controller, make sure you can cue the mixes. If that's all cool then get a midi controller. At the end of the day the controller just moves the buttons and faders. The soundcard and cueing is what allows you to preview the songs and essentially dj.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

word of advise atom proccess is shocking i tryed installing ableton and traktor on my girlfriends net book with a atom processer and it just crashed and lagged all the the time

so try the software before you go and buy a controller

Quote Originally Posted by RuiGomes View Post
    I will use two soundcards.

One will be connected to the PC Speakers, and the other one will be connected to my headphones.

I think it will work this way, but I've never tried it.
    I don't think you can use two separate sound card interfaces with Traktor Pro. You'll need an integrated sound card that can do at least two stereo channels out.

I would also recommend that you take a look at the Numark Total Control. Its not the best piece of midi hardware on the market, but I've been using it for the past year and half or so after switching from analog CDJs and mixer. Its a great controller to start out with.

You could do:

Numark Total Control + Native Instruments Audio 2 (don't use the Numark I/O card, that thing is horrible) + Traktor Pro

You'd basically have everything you need (with your laptop of course) to do a full digital setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast