Mackie MR5s or Rokit 5s for computer speakers (music listening only)
    Tech Wizard

Default Mackie MR5s or Rokit 5s for computer speakers (music listening only)

I want to buy a decent set of speakers for my laptop. These would be used for music listening only when I'm working. I don't do any producing.

I'm considering the MR5s but also checking out the Rokit 5s.

As I don't need a truly flat sound, I want to go with the pair that will give me more bass. Obviously at this size it doesn't have to shake the room, but I'd like to hear/feel it at my desk. I mostly listen to hip hop and electronic music.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by TMAS; 08-25-2014 at 11:00 AM.

For the money, you can buy computer specific speakers and they won't be nearly as flat.

That's what I'd do with my money especially if you aren't using them for production
    1200 Hustle Turntablist & DJ // Sector 15 DJ // Liquids Nightclub Resident
    Technic 1200's // Rane 62 // MacBook Pro Retina // Ton of vinyl
    www.facebook.cm/DJLayinLo
    https://soundcloud.com/djlayinlo

Tech Guru

Monitors would be overkill if you won't be producing, to be honest.

Tech Guru

I love my mackie MR8. Rokits have more bass though.

As stated, if you want bass, you're wasting your money. Get computer speakers.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

Interesting. I was always under the impression that most computer speakers were pretty cheap. Honestly though, I've never really researched them before. Ideally, I'd like to just have two desktop speakers and no sub under the desk. Any suggestions on brands/models to check out?
    Last edited by TMAS; 08-25-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Logitech z623 all day man. $200 and beat the shit out of both of those. It has the sub under the desk but it is SUPER compact for the sound it makes.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Not sure on the MR's, but I had Rokit 8s and loved them. I agree it might be over kill, and a "computer" speaker setup will sound less flat. But, the Rokit's are great!

Tech Wizard

I ended up just buying a long toslink cable and running it from my computer to my receiver/dj setup. Originally, I wanted the sound right in front of me but this way sounds better than any computer speaker setup I would buy.