Error With LED Ring Control MF Twister
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Exclamation Error With LED Ring Control MF Twister

The LED rings do not respond to midi while the value is controlled by the knob.

I'm Trying to map the twister so that a single knob controls multiple values based on modifiers, I therefore need the LED indicators to always respond to the midi signals.

I have the knobs set to encoder mode and mapped as relative in traktor, it all works except the LED feedback.

If I map an encoder 1 to control an eq knob and the leds to indicate the position, the LEDS will not change unless something else is controlling the software parameter (i.e. Mouse or a different encoder).

I presume this is a firmware bug, but it completes ruins my planned mapping, leaving the twister useless as I have no idea where my controls are pointing.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Hey Rob2192,

What you have experiencing is not a bug. While any of the Twister's Encoders is in the 3Fh mode you won't be getting any feedback from the LED rings.

Though, I'm curious to see your mapping and then I'd hopefully be able to help you out with setting your knobs in the CC Encoder mode where the LED feedback is mappable.

Peace,

Tech Mentor

Hey Stewe,

I can get LED feedback by outputting messages from traktor and it sort of works, it just won't update if for example CC01 is controlling gain and gain position is set to out on CC01.

However if the out is set to any other CC it works fine but the output has to be for an LED ring around a different encoder to the one controlling the parameter. The values update correctly if send monitor state is used, however it is a pain turning an encoder and then pushing a button to see the control value.

The reason I want to map as encoders with feedback controlled by traktor is so that I can use modifiers to control functions, the mapping I'm working on will give up to 15 layers per twister bank, where each strip of 4 encoders can be on any layer.

I'll happily upload the unfinished mapping if you would like to see it.

Hey Rob 2192,

Please do upload your mapping for me to check it out - some short vid demonstrating the issue with encoders would be helpful too.

Also let me know what FW, Utility and Traktor versions do you run. If you're up to date, than you could be missing some mapping or Utility setting.

Tech Mentor

Hey Stewe,

I've attached my twister configuration and traktor mappings.

I've added a mapping called problem demo that shows whats happening. Encoders 2 & 6 (If 1 is top right) both control deck A gain and the LED rings are both mapped to show the position of trakors gain knob. Also if either is pushed they both show pre fader VU (which is a function I'd like in my mapping).

Try turning each of these and see what happens, also try changing the parameter using the mouse or other controller.

I've also attached a plan for the mapping which is part done, should help you understand what i'm trying to do.
    Left Side Button 1 swaps to bank 3. Encoder 1 on bank 3 changes layers (for the left hand column), pushing this encoder swaps to bank 1 where the controls are similar to the plan.

Rob2192Twister.zip

Thanks for the help. Look forward to seeing what you think.

I forgot to add that i'm using MF utility 2.63, the 13 AUG Twister firmware and Traktor 2.68.
    Last edited by rob2192; 08-28-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks for the files mate. Alright, Ive been able to reproduce the problem on my Twister now - it seems that 3Fh encoder mode has indeed exposed the LED Ring feedback even though the Encoders are not set as a CC.

Ok, this is now on the bug radar and we will take care of that one! No worries

In the mid time, you can go ahead and change the Encoder mode in to CC which actually is designed for mapping this same controls in absolute mode.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the help Stewe.

Yes, the encoders seem to interfere/block incoming midi. There just needs to be a separation when in encoder mode so that the only thing controlling the LEDs is incoming MIDI and not the encoders themselves.

I have a basic mapping working for a 2 deck mixer, but it's extremely limited compared to my planned mapping.

If I use CC mode I can't properly control the LED feedback, for example sending the pre fader VU signal operates the LEDs but also updates the CC position so the position of the twisters virtual knob constantly changes causing unpredictable jumps in gain when turned.

Mapping as 3FH encoders and using traktor (or scripts for other programs) to control the feedback opens up so many possibilities compared to the CC mode.
    I hope someone sorts this bug soon as the twister is very nearly one of the most powerful controllers there is.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Thanks for the files mate. Alright, Ive been able to reproduce the problem on my Twister now - it seems that 3Fh encoder mode has indeed exposed the LED Ring feedback even though the Encoders are not set as a CC.

Ok, this is now on the bug radar and we will take care of that one! No worries

In the mid time, you can go ahead and change the Encoder mode in to CC which actually is designed for mapping this same controls in absolute mode.
    8 months has passed and this is still an issue. Is there a chance of this bring fixed?

Tech Mentor

Also still hoping this will be fixed. Any news on this / updates for the twister?
    Xone DB4 | Pioneer DDJ-SP1 | DJ Tech CDJ 101 (x2) | Serato DJ
    NI X1 MKII | NI Scratch A6 | MF Twister | Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II | KRK Rokit 5 (x2) | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Mixed In Key 8 | MusicBrainz Picard | Mixxx 2

Hey Guys,

We are working on new update. This is getting fix in the next couple of months so please be patient. Personally I found good use of that exposed ring behavior - sometimes it's cool to have a move loop knob in 3Fh mode and than also display track position on the same knob (or maybe a VU or beat phase meter). I can always send a note with zero velocity in the mapping to disengage LED rings when I don't need them or have them showing in full velocity as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast