quit djing to produce?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default quit djing to produce?

THIS IS A RE EDIT FOR MY POST EXPLAINING MYSELF COMPLETELY

"""""Now that i have realized what i have done wrong. let me explain the full situation. """""

I have been djing for a couple years like i said. came from overseas djing every weekend and having a blast doing it. I dj'd to fund that habit and my drift car i had. So when i came back here and it became very hard to find gigs i started losing faith. I would talk to the managers, become friends. become a very frequent customer at the clubs and just make myself look as best as possible with being polite to the bouncers, tipping waitresses, and getting to know the dj's as best as possible. Ive been doing this for 5 months now with no luck. I have a steady set of followers here on this base already that know me as a dj and like my mixing. Heck, i even had the Chief master sergeant of the base ask me to dj for a base wide dorm party. I have connections here and they work pretty well. But I'm finding getting connections in a bigger city very hard.

So i have come to a dilemma of do i continue to try and get gigs and social market the heck out of myself, or do i put my main focus on trying to begin producing. Yes i could do both, but when i work 12hr shifts, school, and random bull#hit that comes up with the military. I only truly have time for one hobby at a time. Now i love dj'ing. It helped me get through some hard times and it helps me relax and relieve stress. I truly do love doing it. But I'm also finding myself wanting to get into producing more and more. My dream since i was a teenager years ago was to become a touring edm superstar. Now, that is very unrealistic but i have to try. So if that means i have to give up one love to begin another. I will do it.

So from reading that. What do you guys think i should do. Temporally put my love of djing to the side to produce. Or keep working my ass off to get the djing jobs i desperately crave?

Again. I'm sorry for coming off as an asshole in my post and seeming to dish on anyone who uses a laptop or sync or anything like that. I truly did not mean to offend you. So please forgive me for that one moment of assholeness.""""""

Hello, i have a ultimatum that i would like you guys to help me with. Ive been djing for 3yrs now. Started overseas in japan working at the clubs on base. Im used to getting a text or phone call every weekend asking me to come out and dj for a buddy or by myself.

Im used too playing nothing but top 40, edm, hip hop and old school. Now i just moved to my next base in idaho in a very small town 40 minutes from the nearest city and let me tell you….it is nothing but country…and more country here. So when i go to a bar owner and bring up the topic of possibly djing for them and they ask what i play and say everything but country…it doesn’t go to well. So I’ve striked out in town minus you small hip hop bar here that only hires me to play every 3 weeks or so. And its getting very aggravating. And since boise is the nearest city to go to i tried there. no luck. so many college dj’s rolling around that can ‘dj’ that I’m tossed into the bunch of guys who want a job to at the clubs also. And its getting very expensive to drive there every 2 days to try and find a djing job. So financially...its getting hard to justify going there so many times when I'm not getting lucky with any gigs.

When i go to the clubs all i see is a 24yr old guy with a laptop and virtual dj and no controller basically just waiting for the song to end then hitting play on the next song. Not even mixing at all. Now this is very irritating because i was raised the right way in my opinion. Handed two technic 1200′s and if i so much as reached for the syc button i got slapped into next week. So its verrrry aggravating for me to see these guys getting the jobs with basically zero skills and I’m sitting in the corner drinking my beer and crying myself to sleep with jealousy.

So my question for you guys is do i just give up on it and move on to doing my life long dream of producing music, or suck it up and wait for the stars to align and get a gig.
    Last edited by shawnyboy998; 08-30-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Banned

So your next assignment might be in a city without country music? Doesn't sound like you need to even make a choice but rather wait.

Oh I'm sorry. i didn't fully explain where i am stationed now. Im in mountain home idaho. 40 minutes from boise. But spending 20$ to go there and back every time isn't financially justifiable right now. So I'm contemplating just beginning producing.

Tech Guru

You can always take up producing.
    You can expand what you play.
    You can setup a youtube channel and put up some mixes out there.

In any event, I do not think you are facing the either/or choice that you are looking at.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

but my main question is which should i focus on more in my current predicament.

Banned

Why is it an either or? Doesn't sound like DJing is taking much time now right?

You DJ in your "bedroom" to keep your skills up to par and know the current songs. If an opening pops up, you can pounce on it, although it's unlikely since I grew up in a place that seems similar to the one you're now stationed.

In the meantime, get on with your lifelong dream of making music as well.

You can do both, just give up on trying to actually get gigs out there. Ain't happenin, it's a waste of time and money.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Why can't you do both?

Tech Mentor

um both like countless others folks into this music?

if your idea is to make music for people to dj with they two go hand in hand as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnyboy998
    ...wait...
    Wait for what?

Find a club or bar that wil let you DJ (maybe you'll have to do it for free to start off with) and build a night. You'll have to promote it yourself (flyers/posters, etc...). If no-ones comes, at least you'll know that you tried.

The "stars" won't align for you if you don't make some moves...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast