Using Ableton Push LCD Display in Traktor.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Using Ableton Push LCD Display in Traktor.

this is a proof of concept for using Ableton LCD display in Traktor. Hopefully someone with more expertise can takeit on them selves to write something a bit less tedious.

I apologize for the terrible quality. I don't have a good video cam so this is taken from my phone.

First i made a Traktor Mapping that takes controls from Ableton Push User Port and sends them to Traktor virtual Port (Output).

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 6.42.45 PM.jpg
    Enlarge Traktor Pic

the mapping:
    push_sysex control.tsi

Then I used midipipe to take midi CC data from the traktor Virtual Output and triggers Sysex messages from CC#71-78. You can learn more about the sysex message the ableton uses for it's LCD screen from these posts/pages:

How to control the Push LCD with sysex messages

julien Bayle website

Ableton forum post

Take Midi data from Traktor Virtual Output
    Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 7.23.38 PM.jpg
    Enlarge MidiPipe Midi In Pic

Use a message factory for each CC#71-78
    Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 7.23.50 PM.jpg
    Enlarge MidiPipe Trigger Pic

Writing up the sysex information will be a bit long so just either research it using the links provided or download the midipipe configuration file and unzip it. It may not work for your particular setup though.
    Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 7.24.00 PM.jpg

then output it to ableton user port
    Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 7.24.09 PM.jpg

The midipipe file for the configuration:
    MyPipe.mipi.zip

I also used sysex librarian for sending the 1st line and 3rd line. it was just easier but this could be done with midipipe as well.

i hope this helps
    Last edited by mrdorianjames; 01-31-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: adding extra info
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Nice man! Wish i could help, but im afraid not, will keep an eye on this post!
    SoundCloud <-- All my mixes are available for a free download.

Tech Mentor

have you tried it? Do you do any programming.
    Last edited by mrdorianjames; 02-04-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    Techno/Experimental

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Working nice here. Useful to change the touchstrip modes too (https://app.box.com/s/w900ll2tq3tj83raes2a), my only gripe is I can't get the strip to listen to incoming midi

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the touch strip. It maybe useful to do page selection in traktor or phase/nudge.

I'm still having trouble with the LCD. I got mine setup for volume of remix decks and the filter. The 2nd line is to indicate volume and filter changes indicating 0-9 volume and filter increments but the 3rd line is suppose to tell you what mode you are in. I got the changing volumes and filter numbers fine as you see but I'm stuck on getting the text for the modes to change. I think I might have to clear the line.
    Techno/Experimental

Got the touchstrip feedback working, just needed to set it to the first modes, output as CC in traktor and reconvert to pitch. =)

Are you using a different CC for the filters in the new line or is that handled inside traktor?

Update: No need for a line clear sysex, just make sure the buttons you use to switch display layers have it's midi range set to 1-127 instead of 0-127 in Midi Pipe, otherwise it will still send a message even if the button is at 0.

Might move the selectors to shift+encoder touch but happy with the results so far =)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Are you using a different CC for the filters in the new line or is that handled inside traktor?
    I was handling it inside traktor
    how are you doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Update: No need for a line clear sysex, just make sure the buttons you use to switch display layers have it's midi range set to 1-127 instead of 0-127 in Midi Pipe, otherwise it will still send a message even if the button is at 0.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

As for midipipe do you know whether the pipes work in parallel at the same time?
    Techno/Experimental

Quote Originally Posted by mrdorianjames View Post
    I was handling it inside traktor
    how are you doing it?
    single modifier pushing the same 8 CCs, I'm planning on keeping it single line for now

Quote Originally Posted by mrdorianjames View Post
    As for midipipe do you know whether the pipes work in parallel at the same time?
    Yup

Sending the same CC through CH 1-7 and assigning each in the display, you need to split the Controller Range too obviously. Getting it to show single bar advance instead of pairs is a pain due to the way the characters palette is arranged so while it has 2 steps less of resolution than numbers, it doesn't look like a hack and you can inverse some of them to get a Pan bar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast