Someone please help with transitioning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Someone please help with transitioning

I'm new to this and feel like I still don't get how to transition properly into songs. If anyone is willing to explain basic ways to transition in EDM songs I'd appreciate it, or post a link to a helpful video/ article that could easily explain to a newbie.

Might I recommend subscribing to the DJTechTools YouTube channel? There is lots of good stuff to be learned there.

tl;dr, Most forms of dance music has phrases 16 or 32 bars long. There will usually be a lead in that is just the beat to help you sync up with the outgoing track, then there will be an intro phrase before the main body of the track starts. to begin with, time the lead out from the preceding track to end right when the intro of the next track finishes and the next phrase, with the main melody, begins. After that you can try more advanced transitions.

Just be careful not to transition into an extended silent break before the melody drops. I did that once by accident with "don't you worry child" which has a hard, driving intro that cuts to silence for 4 bars without warning. I misread that looking at the waveform and had stopped the other track by then so had no beat to overlay to hand. Killed the crowd, I carried on and built the mood back up again, and rage-deleted the track from my set afterwards...

Steps.

1) Learn where songs have breaks, drops, outros. So you know when and where you want to start beatmatch the other track.
    2) Beatmatch.
    3) Fade in the song.
    4) Fade out the song.
    5) Have a drink.
    6) Rave.
    7) Repeat.

In step 3 and 4, use volume fader (obviously) and EQ.
    EQ, because you don't want too much bass, mid, or highs playing at the same time. It'll sound distorted if there is.

Record your set, listen to it, and improve/practice/change what you need to.

Also, it helps to listen to your favorite artists live sets, to see what's happening during their transitions. When do he bring the songs in, and when does he fade out the other track.

Then move to more complex transitions.

Banned

Like everyone says, learn the phrasing of the song, if you can see the wave form in traktor or like program it's super easy to see where something is added or taken away and then play with the EQs and find out what you need to take away so the 2 songs don't fight for the same space then swap them as you like.

Yep, Check the DJTT blog/youtube for some great beginner tutorials. Don't worry mate, we all sucked when we started, just keep at it and eventually you will get to my level i.e be fall over drunk and still manage to kinda mix
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

"transition" that's that short time between mixes where one record is playing rite?

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    "transition" that's that short time between mixes where one record is playing rite?
    Not sure if this is sarcasm

It's "that short time" while you're going from one song to another. So 2 songs are playing at the same time.

Banned

Drop them like bombs

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    Not sure if this is sarcasm

It's "that short time" while you're going from one song to another. So 2 songs are playing at the same time.
    I actually spend more time in the mix than out of it

After a fair few years of being a member of this forum. i've seen So many questions raised regarding this enquiry. Wouldnt it be beneficial to have a separate section in the forum's specifically for beginners? With a sticky with links to the predominant Youtube channels/video's e.g Ellaskins (http://www.youtube.com/user/ellaskins) which a heck of a lot of beginners have found beneficial, what to buy and how much to spend, best ways to spend time practicing etc?
    Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast