4-Deck Modular System
    Tech Convert

Default 4-Deck Modular System

Alright guys, something has been bugging me. Why is it that every portable modular system has 2 decks? The new AKAI modular system is two decks, NI is 2 decks (the Z2 inexplicably so IMO). Why are companies refusing to release 4 deck small mixers (with the exception of Behringer)?

My ideal set up would be:

4 Deck AKAI AMX/ 4-Deck Z2
    4 AFX linked up to AMX/ 4 X1

What do you guys think?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Agreed with you mate.

Personally I think its about economics, to tell you the truth I would have never got as far as I have if it wasn't for a medium priced controller X1mk2 @ $200, DJ-Tech X1 USB @ $200, NI Kontrol F1 @ $200. See there's a pattern going on there lol. I could never see myself as a newb getting a Z1 or something like that. Now that Ive got the itch for DJ'ing I'm looking at a Denon MC-6000 a used one at that. If companies were to release 4 deck controllers youre looking a $400 to start and newbs are willing to dish out that kind of cash just to bedroom DJ so that may be your answer.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Guru

I think once you start getting into 4 decks, 'portable' kinda loses its meaning as you'll be lugging around quite a bit to control the 4 decks.

Plus bc6 nailed it. The modular stuff is usually catered towards beginners who most likely will not be using 4 decks. The people using 4 decks probably don't mind spending some money on a DJM or something similar.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Personally, I would kill for a Traktor Kontrol X2 that would take the place of two X1s, mainly to able to better fit into a club's setup where space is limited and a S2/S4 wouldn't fit. Even better if they would incorporate the Z1 mixer controls using modifier buttons for the FX banks (maybe just above each one), and perhaps a master MIDI clock control bank up the top along with a loop record function bank, similar to how they are laid out in Traktor at the moment, even if it means making the X2 slightly longer to fit them on. Maybe even with proper pitch faders with tempo range adjust buttons like in the S4.

Throw in an extended version of the Audio 2 DJ with just four outputs to go into a standard 4-channel club mixer and that would suit me fine, even if it's a simplifed A6 Scratch with the inputs converted to outputs instead.
    Last edited by Notanon; 09-01-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Do it like me. Allen and Heath K2 + Two Native Instruments X1's
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Quote Originally Posted by Notanon View Post
    Personally, I would kill for a Traktor Kontrol X2 that would take the place of two X1s, mainly to able to better fit into a club's setup where space is limited and a S2/S4 wouldn't fit. Even better if they would incorporate the Z1 mixer controls using modifier buttons for the FX banks (maybe just above each one), and perhaps a master MIDI clock control bank up the top along with a loop record function bank, similar to how they are laid out in Traktor at the moment, even if it means making the X2 slightly longer to fit them on. Maybe even with proper pitch faders with tempo range adjust buttons like in the S4.
    So an X1 that comes out a bit wider, and a 4 channel mixer in the same format?

On it.
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

^Cheers!

Made a mockup using GIMP a while back as to how it'd look or similar.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Notanon; 09-03-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Double wide Kontrol looks niiiiiice...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Do it like me. Allen and Heath K2 + Two Native Instruments X1's
    Or 2 x X1mk2 and a Z1 like I do for small gigs ... Re-mapped all but 2 of the FX knobs on the X1's for gain, EQ and channel volume (I don't use many FX, but left 2 for macroFX) for decks C&D.

I like the idea of the K2 as well but it's handy to have the Z1 as it's plug and play with both the MBA, and the iPad in a pinch.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems