How many projects on the go at once
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many projects on the go at once

Random question out of idle curiosity... how many tracks do you typically have on the go at once? Once you've had an idea for a beat (or whatever) do you then force yourself to work on top of that before starting anything else, or just create a load of different projects and work on them each when inspiration strikes?

Absolutely not. I have loads on teh go at any one time. I have old projects form a year back theat never took off, but that I still might go back to.

I just like to get any abd all ideas started to see if it's got any legs.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Anywhere from 2 to 10 depending on what project I'm working on usually.

A few for me - mostly just stuff where I have a "theme" I need to expand. If I'm really feeling something, I'll keep working on that...little things here and there. I'm finding it's usually good to take a break for something for a bit and come back to it with fresh ears.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Man, I have so many simultaneous projects that I lose track... but I am also not just working in one particular segment. I am working on producing tunes, keeping up with my DJing, programming custom VSTs because I have specific needs that aren't quite met, yadda yadda yadda.

On the one hand, it would be nice to be able to focus, but on the other hand, I love knowledge and I quite enjoy bouncing around a lot when I'm learning.

I usually have 3 or 4 I'm actively working on. A while back I set a goal for myself to finish and actually put at least one track a month in front of ears that are not my own. That could mean sending it to a label, playing live or just posting it on soundcloud (lately more of the latter). Once I finish something I don't go back to it except minor tweaks to post production if I'm doing that part. Before I started doing this I could have 10 or more tracks in the works and I would never finish anything.

This is one of those personal preference questions. I used to only work on 1 track and 1 track only at any given time. Lately I've found its nice to have a "palate cleanser," so to speak, of different tracks to work on. So I'll have about 2-3 on the go at any given time. I don't like to go above this however as Producer ADD can set in and you never end up finishing anything. I know a bunch of guys who suffer from that and it takes them forever to do anything because they can't stick to a project before getting bored.

Focus is a good thing, but its also nice to refresh your ears with something different.

Tech Mentor

I have countless on hold projects, if it grabs me I can keep on it, if it dulls me I move on. Sometimes I go back and find ideas where I was on to something, sometimes I go back and wonder what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    This is one of those personal preference questions. I used to only work on 1 track and 1 track only at any given time. Lately I've found its nice to have a "palate cleanser," so to speak, of different tracks to work on. So I'll have about 2-3 on the go at any given time. I don't like to go above this however as Producer ADD can set in and you never end up finishing anything. I know a bunch of guys who suffer from that and it takes them forever to do anything because they can't stick to a project before getting bored.

Focus is a good thing, but its also nice to refresh your ears with something different.
    Absolutely, I usually have at least 2 tracks running at once both being different genres so once I get stuck on one, I bounce to the other in which I usually have success at those times.

I like having 3 to 5 projects going so that I actually complete stuff. Another important issue is knowing when to abandon something that isn't working.

Best advice I heard is to stop working on a project right after you do something you're really happy with. That way you are stoked to return to the project later instead of feeling like you're at a dead end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast