Is Logic Pro X right for me? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I've used Ableton since v.1 and have had every version of the software. I've used protools for years when I ran all external gear. I know logic a bit and it's OK.

For ease of editing things Ableton 100%, midi editing in logic gets cumbersome when I know how easy it is in Live.

Ableton is a big fat CPU pig so you do need a powerful system to get the most out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    How do you like Ableton?
    I love it, I've used all types of DAWs so far minus Bitwig and ProTools. I can't see myself ever making a switch but that's just me.

There are endless tutorials out there for it so that also helps

Tech Mentor

i started first with logic first and thought that it was a great software. the native instruments (the company) are amazing, along with the native effect units that are super fat with really good processing.

however i started playing around with ableton by making mixes and other quick edits, which slowly made me use ableton more and more. i got a push about 6 months ago and have not booted up logic since. obviously, i had to spend a little bit of time (and money) to figure out ableton is the DAW for me, but in the end i'm completely with ableton.

take some time between both DAW's and figure out which one you like better. ableton has a demo program, and garage band is an intro version of logicX.

I appreciate the feedback. I think I'm gonna go with Logic. Any suggestions on a midi keyboard/controller for it?

I would say keep it as simple as possible. The M-Audio Axiom has my preference. Love the way the keys feel and the way it performs!

And this is where it gets interesting if you want a clean comparison between Ableton with Logic: hooking up hardware.

With Ableton you bump into the crappy MIDI I/O. You run into all sorts of shite when hooking up hardware. Delay Compensation, syncing up hardware ARPs all will bound to give you a headache.

When using Logic you will be able to pull all kinds of cool stuff. I work with my MC-303 for drums, and some other nice synth patterns.
    I love to programme the MC-303 while sitting on the couch.

When I'm done on the couch, I hook up both the MIDI In and the MIDI Out and the sound channel to my MacBook Pro. By doing this, I will be able to sync the MC-303 with Logic with regards to time and BPM, read out programmed MIDI signals and the accompanying sounds and settings.
    Hell, I am able to sequence a complete track framework on my MC-303 and just pull everything into Logic, and touch up the rough edges within Logic.

And again, I really must say Ableton isn't bad, but the sound is cold... If I listen to the same projects, recreated in both DAWs, the sound quality in Logic wins me over every time.

With regards to the functionality, Ableton clearly states that it will not look into the Delay Compensation in the manual. It is intended as a Live Performance tool, no more, no less.
    This is something why I will use it when on stage, but not in the studio.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I appreciate the feedback. I think I'm gonna go with Logic. Any suggestions on a midi keyboard/controller for it?

I would say keep it as simple as possible. The M-Audio Axiom has my preference. Love the way the keys feel and the way it performs!

Other than that, keep it really simple and neat, you're in a studio, not on stage!

And this is where it gets interesting if you want a clean comparison between Ableton with Logic: hooking up hardware.

With Ableton you bump into the crappy MIDI I/O. You run into all sorts of shite when hooking up hardware. Delay Compensation, syncing up hardware ARPs all will bound to give you a headache.

When using Logic you will be able to pull all kinds of cool stuff. I work with my MC-303 for drums, and some other nice synth patterns.
    I love to programme the MC-303 while sitting on the couch.

When I'm done on the couch, I hook up both the MIDI In and the MIDI Out and the sound channel to my MacBook Pro. By doing this, I will be able to sync the MC-303 with Logic with regards to time and BPM, read out programmed MIDI signals and the accompanying sounds and settings.
    Hell, I am able to sequence a complete track framework on my MC-303 and just pull everything into Logic, and touch up the rough edges within Logic.

And again, I really must say Ableton isn't bad, but the sound is cold... If I listen to the same projects, recreated in both DAWs, the sound quality in Logic wins me over every time.

With regards to the functionality, Ableton clearly states that it will not look into the Delay Compensation in the manual. It is intended as a Live Performance tool, no more, no less.
    This is something why I will use it when on stage, but not in the studio.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tekki, Are you running 10.0.7 on Logic? How is the reliability, bugs/crashes etc?
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post

For ease of editing things Ableton 100%, midi editing in logic gets cumbersome when I know how easy it is in Live.

Well... There are a few tricks in Logic Pro X which makes MIDI editing a dream when comparing it Ableton, but that's probably my personal preference.
    Have been with Ableton since 4.0.3, but to be honest, Logic just works....

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    Tekki, Are you running 10.0.7 on Logic? How is the reliability, bugs/crashes etc?
    Yes, as far as I have come across, stability is better than Ableton and Cubase and both were really well in my book as well.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post

Well... There are a few tricks in Logic Pro X which makes MIDI editing a dream when comparing it Ableton, but that's probably my personal preference.
    Have been with Ableton since 4.0.3, but to be honest, Logic just works....
    yeah but ableton just works also! I've never had issues running with hardware either. I could route right through live and record and loop back in real time on an old G4 that wasn't exactly a beast! I tossed Logic in the trash at version 6 but do have logic X on hand at work for other things.

this setup is prolly 12 years ago.. nothings the same for me anymore.
    Last edited by tekki; 09-02-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    this setup is prolly 12 years ago.. nothings the same for me anymore.
    How about the hair?
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast