need help with first setup

Default need help with first setup

Hello this will be my first setup as im just starting djing..im looking at the trakor s2, the f1 and either the twister or 3d fighter. first questoin is whats better between the twister and 3d. also could i use both the f1 and fighter or should i just get two of the same or is just one enough of either one..second qustion is between the s2 and the pioneer ddj-sr which one is better overall..and third would a mac book for djing be a good investment over my samsung laptop..thanks for any help or knowledge

Firstly samsung laptop should be fine if using it just for music. I find that pcs work just as well if optimised (there's various guides online) MacBooks tend to need less optimisation but I've used my current toshiba laptop and previous samsung laptops and had no problems at the numerous gigs I've played at so the extra expenditure isn't always justified.

Your question about what to buy controller wise is a good one I have a twister and f1 and love how I can use them in combo. The twisters step sequencer is a great addition to any set up and the f1 not only controls remix decks brilliantly it also had some great custom maps for fxs etc.

Haven't used the pioneer controller but the s2 is a nice controller and again as you go along it can be custom mapped for your needs which is pretty handy. It also works with an iphone/iPad (if u get the mk2) which is good for back up if anything goes wrong. Haven't tried the 3d but like I say Im really glad I added a twister to my set up.

Hope that helps a bit
    DJ, Producer, Radio Presenter & Tutor
    Win8 64bit / TP2.6.8 / Ableton / Maschine
    S4 / X1 / F1 / Z1 / Maschine Mikro / Midi Fighter Twister / Akai Mini Mk2 / Boss FS-5U
    Twitter: @joegrime
    www.soundcloud.com/joegrime // www.mixcloud.com/joegrime

Tech Mentor

If you're first starting to dj, stay away from the midi fighters and the F1. You'll have your hands completely full for months with just the S2 or the SR. It'll just sit there doing nothing. Working two decks at a time is hard enough for most people, irrespective of experience level.

About the main controller: The S2 is fine although a bit overwhelming for starting and pretty expensive for what you're getting in terms of build quality. The SR is a bit over the top for beginners but has excellent build quality. The S2 works natively with Traktor and other software, sans Serato. This due to the unique way Serato works (ie, they don't allow you to use any controller you want, only the ones they like). Using other software will require a mapping. The SR works natively with Serato, but will work with any other software that allows mappings. You'll find mappings on this site mainly and you can search the net for tutorials on mappings.
    Using a controller that's not made for your software of choice is fine. I've used a Mixtrack Pro 2 and a DDJ-SR with Traktor, no problem. Just make sure you know you have a decent mapping for your software of choice before you buy the controller. Manufacturers also provide maps for software, just not all of them.

I'd suggest stepping down a bit in price and look for a Reloop Terminal Mix 2 or 4, a DDJ-SB or a Mixtrack Pro 2. Don't spend a fortune if you're just starting out. Get a simple one, learn the basics, and if you're still interested upgrade to something nice. At that time you'll know what your requirements are and are much, much (did I say MUCH?) better able to pick the right one. If you buy an expensive one now, you might regret it later. Then you'll have to buy another one and spend even more in the end.

The Samsung will probably be just fine, as long as it has a semi-recent intel processor and enough RAM. AMD doesn't play nice with at least Serato, don't know about other software.

Think this through, mate. Don't rush. Get all the info you need first.

Tech Mentor

I agree with the other commentors.
    You donīt need all that expensive stuff!

With Traktor you can use any midi controller you can think of! (And nobody needs a big pioneer or NI logo on it.) Itīs just a midi controller not an analog mixer!! All the new expensive, fancy dj controller do the same, mainly just sending MIDI. The magic happens in the software that you control. So a second hand controller does the job as well as a new budget controller. http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/05/0...r-300-reviewed

The F1, the twister and the midi fighter 3D will (of course) extend your DJ possibilities. BUT they are for experienced DJs, who reached the boundaries of "normal" DJing and want to go further. They are into DJing for years, but all of them started with a small set up of two decks. Itīs like you want to simply learn guitar and you buy an expensive jazz guitar, high-end amplifiers, custom strings,... At first, keep it simple. Buy a regular guitar and practice! You should know about power chords, before you play in a free jazz band!

Save your money, because practicing on your (reliable) equipment will evolve your needs and demands (your style). Even your knowledge about which special gear extends your possibilities will grow.

My advice for you:

Get a laptop with at least 8GB RAM and an "up to date" INTEL processor (no celeron and no AMD)!

Buy a sound interface! (NIīs Audio 2, or whatever itīs called) about 100 bucks.
    Buy a midi controller (without sound interface) of your choice about 300-400 bucks!
    Buy Traktor Pro license! less than 100 bucks.
    Or get the S2! You get the Traktor license and it has a good sound interface. Itīs built for Traktor, itīs solid and it is map-able! Itīs a good deal.

Thatīs all? No, WAIT:
    Buy great headphones!! (Sennheiser HD25, ..) 150-200 bucks.

If you still want to spend money, consider upgrading your RAM and/or buy new music.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Wasn't particularlly trying to get you to spend unnecessary money just answers specific to your questions I agree you could buy a reliable cheaper controller but I still recommend the s2 to get going with. The learning curve isn't huge and I'm sure you'll pick up most features pretty easily quickly. It all depends what direction you are heading as a DJ but if your someone who's thinking about remix decks I don't think you can go wrong with picking up an F1 and MF twister even if you pick them up later on down the line. The twisters step sequencer really adds some new features to the remix decks and the F1 is really well designed to go hand in hand with remix decks (plus there's a great map for controlling Fxs with the F1 and you can use both maps at the same time).

It is true you don't need to spend the money but TBH buying an s2, f1 and MF twister still doesn't even cost as much as buying a pair of decent CDJs and offers you a set up that will give you tons of features and lots to learn along the way (Plus a Traktor pro license). Like many have said you don't need to spend the money and you may want to wait to see what direction you wanna go as a DJ. That being said I personally wouldn't want to buy a cheaper controller and then have to pay out again a few months later (which will happen if put the hours in learning)

Agree with everyone with regards PC/laptop over MacBook though just remember to optimise it for
    Traktor as this gives you so much more power than you might imagine.
    S4 / X1 / F1 / Z1 / Maschine Mikro / Midi Fighter Twister / Akai Mini Mk2 / Boss FS-5U

Tech Mentor

It doesn't matter what a CDJ costs. It matters what the things he needs cost.

I know but they asked specifically about the s2/f1/MF so answered accordingly and I wouldn't personally advise to buy cheaper gear and upgrade (although slightly different you wouldn't buy entry level decks and then upgrade to technics and I feel the same with controllers) I personally feel the investment is worth it and with a modular set up apart from the s2 you can add as you progress.

Thanks everyone for the input, but with the s2 on sell isn't that a pretty great deal

thanks for all the help