mp3gain questions

Default mp3gain questions

First, does rekordbox read the metadata of the track for replay gain?

Second, if I export my rekordbox playlist on a USB, will my CDJ read it?

Third, there's a "prevent clipping" option, if I put 'Target "Normal" Volume' at like 150 db (I know it's extremely loud and exaggerated, that's the point) and I put the "prevent clipping" option on, will it just not stop at the loudest possible volume without clipping?

Fourth, if that's the case, shouldn't people do that with all the tracks if they want to reach max gains with no clipping?

Tech Mentor

don't squash the dynamics out of your tracks to make them loud. sound systems make the music loud not processing.

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    don't squash the dynamics out of your tracks to make them loud. sound systems make the music loud not processing.
    That answered 0 of my questions. I'm not interested in squashing anything. Just curious to how that software works.

I did a ton of research and nothing answered those questions.

well mp3gain does not affect the track in any way, it merely changes something in the tags that tells a player how loud a track is.
    if you use autogain in your dj software there is no point using it anyway.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    well mp3gain does not affect the track in any way, it merely changes something in the tags that tells a player how loud a track is.
    if you use autogain in your dj software there is no point using it anyway.
    Ya I know that, I don't use a DJ software... and just sometimes shit happens that I don't really check the gain level depending on how quickly I mix out.

I guess I'll just have to test it myself to answer all my questions. I'll do it tomorrow.

I would recommend 94db (thats what i use)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

So I tried it out.

1 & 2) It is compatible through Rekordbox and CDJs read it.
    3) For the "prevent clipping" option, I'm not exactly sure how well it works. It seems like all it does is put all the clipping tracks 'track gain' to -1db.
    4) No idea. I'll just probably put 92 (since with Serato I would use that) or 94db (thanks Jester for the recommendation).