Recording DJ Mixes Externally ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Recording DJ Mixes Externally ?

Hey guys,

little question on how you record your mixes. Im mainly looking for a cheap external solution (field recorder) that would accurately record without clipping.

Im mixing externally on a Xone42, with Traktor and Maschine running as standalone on my Macbook Pro with an i7 Core processor.

now, when I record at home, I even run Ableton live and record into it, so thats 3 quite heavy softwares running at once. I havent experienced problems until now, HOWEVER I dont have the balls to take the risk of recording like this live. And lately I am playing more and more live shows, so I would like to record my sets without the additional CPU-power hungry Ableton Live.

I read that field recorders might come into hand. A quite cheap one is the 99Eur Zoom H1. I almost was planning to buy it, but then read some negative reviews, that it is clipping awfully when recording from a mixer, as mixer signals are more powerful, than a normal mic signal.

so, my question is as to whether you can recommend me something that has a steady line-in level for DJ set recording purposes? I really dont wanna splash big cash for such a device, to be honest.

Or maybe some kind of device that would allow me to record into my Android smartphone? That might be even cheaper, but frankly, I prefer dedicated devices for each different task.

I use a TASCAM DR-60D recorder which is a great little unit except that it's battery life sucks. I'd go with the Android setup it'll save you money and it's a portable little job. I'm actually going to give it a try (thanks) and see how that works for me. Although there are a ton of apps on Google Play there are a few Field recorder apps out there. All you should need is a RCA-1/8 and youre good to go.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Best bet is a soundcard with inputs, that way you can monitor your recording levels better. Run an RCA from either your BOOTH or REC out to an input on the soundcard, you can even record externallly through traktor.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Hmm no mention of a soundcard there mate ... unless i am mistaken, the xone42 only has a 1 channel soundcard right? so how are you mixing externally now? Jester is confused.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Wouldn't it be better for op to record via xone42 USB and using a program that takes up less resources like audacity?

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

I think the op is confused as to what external mixing is. Unless he has a multi channel soundcard already, that is impossible.

He probably uses some sort of usb audio card (traktor audio 6,8 or non NI). If I'm not mistaken, Xone 1ch sound interface is useless in this case.

Connect your mixer's record out RCA to one of line-in RCA inputs on your soundcard. Set Traktor to record externally, on appropriate input (deck C or D). Simple.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    I use a TASCAM DR-60D recorder which is a great little unit except that it's battery life sucks. I'd go with the Android setup it'll save you money and it's a portable little job. I'm actually going to give it a try (thanks) and see how that works for me. Although there are a ton of apps on Google Play there are a few Field recorder apps out there. All you should need is a RCA-1/8 and youre good to go.
    seems you are the only person who understood what I need.
    to all the others, Im very well aware how to record things, thats what I explained. By Externally, i meant I am obviously getting the signal out of the DJ mixer and routing it further on in my soundcard, Motu Ultralite that I have.

I DONT want to do this, live. I dont want a 3rd software running in my computer while performing in front of 800 people, so I'd rather record with an external device. So, Im asking about opinions on reasonably priced, but good input quality field recorders etc.

I think youtube has a few good videos on what youre looking for if you havent done a search on there yet.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Quote Originally Posted by Diesse View Post
    I dont want a 3rd software running in my computer while performing in front of 800 people, so I'd rather record with an external device. So, Im asking about opinions on reasonably priced, but good input quality field recorders etc.
    Your choice. But, and I explained it - you don't need a 3rd software, you're recording in Traktor.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast