[Deep House] 'Something for your Mind, Body, and Soul' Pt.1 - September Mix of Housey Stuff

Default 'Something for your Mind, Body, and Soul' Pt.1 - September Mix of Housey Stuff

Here is this month's offering...

1. - Blamma! Blamma! feat. Kristina Train - Zsa Zsa (Blamma! Blamma! Rework)
    2. - N'Dea Davenport - Don't Push Your Luck (Waggon Cookin' Vocal Remix)
    3. - The Far Out Monster Disco Orchestra - Don’t Cha Know He’s Alright (Mark E Remix)
    4. - Phil Weeks - Show You Love (4 U Dancers Mix)
    5. - Ali Love - Cosmic Top Secret
    6. - Melokolektiv - ADN - Riil (Original Mix)
    7. - Da Sunlounge - Give It To Me (Original Mix)
    8. - Darryl D Bonneau - J-C - Let's Go (Yoyo Dub)
    9. - Robot Needs Oil - Robert Gratza - Pomaranha (Robert Gratza Edit)
    10. - Smash TV - Rainmaker
    11. - Random Soul - Inaya Day - Sweet Obsession (GIOM Remix)
    12. - Lay-Far - New Day, New Light (Original Mix)
    13. - Ann Consuelo - See The Day (StoneBridge 1991 Mix - edit)
    14. - Thodoris Triantafillou - CJ Jeff - Verona (Original Mix)
    15. - Sundowners - Mystic Bill - Jungle Line
    16. - Tigerskin - HigH
    17. - Ali Love - Deep Into The Night
    18. - Two 4 Soul - Chelsea Como - I Want You (Two 4 Soul Trumpet Mix)
    19. - Julien Sandre - Diamonds (Original Mix)

All comments welcome
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Popping this on while I get some work done, at work.. will edit with comments later

@12:00 transition - going from deep/soulful to acid was kind of jarring to me. Feels like it is out of place and the sound levels going into the track right after it increase dramatically (way more bass)

After listening to more of it kind of spot checking each track I notice that you switch up subgenres/energies with almost every track, which to me doesn't flow well when I listen to it. I appreciate the wide selection and tastes that you have, but as far as mixing them all together I would personally separate the subgenres/energies into more definable portions of the mix, starting with lower energy tracks, and ending the mix at a higher level than where you began.

I am currently experimenting with raising and lowering the energy level throughout the mix maybe once or twice, but it is a delicate operation as the wrong track in the wrong place/time can really make the listener's emotions change too quickly.

Going from soulful vocal house, acid house, deep to tech, to disco/soul/funk felt kind of scattered. Also an 1.5 hours is a long time for 19 tracks in my opinion unless you are spinning straight techno where you have several minutes to play with and rearrange sections of tracks, and most tracks are 8+ minutes long by themselves.

Technically (skill wise) the transitions do seem to be well done, albeit almost too well done (robotic). I am curious as to your current setup, what are you using to mix? Hardware/software, sync button usage, mixing in key/harmonic mixing, etc. A lot of these tracks sound like old school vinyl, so I am wondering.

Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your new mix.

edit: just saw your signature with your equipment listed, duh. haha
    Last edited by WestonParish; 09-11-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    Pioneer XDJ-1000Mk1 -|- Numark TTX -|- Pioneer DJM-750

Spinning the deepest in tech and progressive house
    www.soundcloud.com/westonparish
    www.facebook.com/djwestonparish

Cheers, thanks for the feedback.

I come from an old school balearic approach, hence the varying styles. I actually find that many mixes these days are just too samey playing tracks that just sound too similar. I don't use mixed in key. I have done a Pt.2 and that builds further to a higher energy level.

Just researched balearic beat, I had no idea that was a thing! Understandably, I am only 25 and have been DJing for 5-6 years, so my exposure to the true old school is limited simply by my age and late exposure to the house scene. I understand now what that type of mixing is, it was just foreign to my ears because I have not heard that style of mixing until now. I apologize for the misplaced criticism.

I can really appreciate the 'no rules' approach to that style of mixing using unique vinyl records that stretch across multiple genres. Dancing in a club to that type of beat would provide more of a variety over the course of a set and I can definitely see what you mean about DJs playing tracks that sound way too similar.

Thank you for enabling me to discover yet another piece of the important history of DJing. I love learning new things!
    Pioneer XDJ-1000Mk1 -|- Numark TTX -|- Pioneer DJM-750

Spinning the deepest in tech and progressive house
    www.soundcloud.com/westonparish
    www.facebook.com/djwestonparish

Pt.2 finishes quite Techno, Acid. I'll post it up in a week or so