Allen & Heath Xone:92 Vs. DB2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Allen & Heath Xone:92 Vs. DB2

Hi everyone,

I am upgrading my setup from a Pioneer DDJT1 Controller to a Allen&Heath Xone:92. The item has been backordered and should be sent out sometime next week. I noticed that the Allen&Heath DB2 is the roughly the same price, what is everyone opinion between the two mixers? Which mixer would you go with, pro and cons between them? I already have a Traktor Scratch Audio 10 so I would not need to purchase any additional audio interfaces for the Xone:92.

Thank you,

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Moved to appropriate forum.

Have you owned/used a mixer before? Both those mixers are badass. I have used a 92 and loved it, but shows its age a bit.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Literally in the same spot as you. Moved from the T1 to the DB2. Read pretty much every discussion on the comparison and like Jester mentioned, they're both badass. The DB2's effects won me over but find the DJTT thread were the guy does an in depth comparison. 4 Band/3 band trimodal eq, input matrix, fx, analogue/digital, mic channels, and filters are the main differences. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that last list).

EDIT: Heres the threads

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=49055

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=47174

Tech Convert

I went from DJM-900 with turntables (and traktor) to xone 92 with CDJ's. For me for just mixing it is the perfect setup. I love the analog sound and 'feel' of the four band eq. Just love it.

Well, almost perfect as adding external effects is a pain to get 'right'. So I am also still contemplating to switch to the DB4. Either that or add a third CDJ and live with the limitation of just having the awesome filters.

Really a tough one...

Have tried and owned both and sold the db2!! X92 is just perfect for me and maybe its a placebo thing but for me it sounds a lot better!!!!
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.

I have both with me at the moment, and although my 92 is in need of some TLC (it's one of the first 3 to hit Australia all those years ago) I still love the sound and feel of it.

Not that the DB2 is far behind in the sound quality department, and it's integrated sound card makes setup with Traktor so so so much quicker ... but I hardly ever use the effects in the DB2 and find myself wanting the nicer filters of the 92.

If Allen & Heath ever release a DB92 ... exact layout of the 92 with built in 12x12 sound card (4 decks in/out plus 2 stereo send/returns) then that would be the ultimate combination. End of story.

Back on topic - I think that if you're not really into mixer effects (or prefer to use Traktor/Ableton FX) then the 92 is the one ... if you want a simpler clean setup and like to make a mixer work hard on the effects then the DB2 (or DB4 if funds allow) is the way to go.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Have you owned/used a mixer before? Both those mixers are badass. I have used a 92 and loved it, but shows its age a bit.
    Hi Jester,

yes I used to play around on DJM 800 back home in Hong Kong but never owned one myself. I thought it was time to step up from my controller to a proper mixer, although i know the DB2 is newer I figured that since i do not know much about mixers in general and thought it would be better to start off with a well known standard mixer like the Xone:92. Learn everything about it and gain that basic knowledge base and work on up from there.

Zak

Quote Originally Posted by M Theory View Post
    Literally in the same spot as you. Moved from the T1 to the DB2. Read pretty much every discussion on the comparison and like Jester mentioned, they're both badass. The DB2's effects won me over but find the DJTT thread were the guy does an in depth comparison. 4 Band/3 band trimodal eq, input matrix, fx, analogue/digital, mic channels, and filters are the main differences. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that last list).

EDIT: Heres the threads

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=49055

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=47174
    Hi M Theory,

I would have moved to the DB2 but I thought since I do not know much about mixers I thought it would be best to work on a standard mixer like the Xone:92, get to know everything about it and work my way up. Once I know how to work everything about the Xone:92 I am sure I can work on any new mixers down the road. Plus I have been eyeing the Xone:92 for a long time finally got it!

Zak

Quote Originally Posted by MrAybar View Post
    Have tried and owned both and sold the db2!! X92 is just perfect for me and maybe its a placebo thing but for me it sounds a lot better!!!!
    So happy to hear that makes me even happier about my decision! I just got my mixer today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast