who uses thinkpads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default who uses thinkpads?

Hey guys,

Just wondering.......

Who uses IBM Thinkpads to dj with? Also what specific model too. What specs did it first come with then what did you change after buying it. Looking for a cheap laptop to soley use it for dj'ing and the thinkpads look great for my price range to save up for.

Tech Mentor

I use a Thinkpad, I bought it about 1.5 years ago. The model is the X61 I believe, which was their previous ultraportable model. Fantastic for DJing with, and I bought it because it was being phased out. I think the retail was $1600 CDN but I got it for a $1000 in the end, basically Lenovo was having a mad sale. They probably still are.

Specs wise it's a Core2Duo running at 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM. Has 3 USB ports as well. Came pre-loaded with Vista, which I kept and just optimized. I'm running Traktor 3.2 on it with 2 MIDI controllers, an Audio8, and an external HD (required a hub because 3 USB ports wasn't enough). It works perfect.

Pros are they have full keyboards on all models I believe, which is super important to me. I mean these are computers meant for office work - no frills which is what you want if you want a DJ laptop. As well, there's a little light on the top which works wonders in clubs.

Build quality is excellent, except one of my USB ports is a little loose so when I play shows, I have to tape whatever's plugged into it tight, otherwise the connection will be lost. This only occurs due to bass vibration, and only started after a friend dropped my laptop. Grrrr.

I love it.

Tech Wizard

Iīm using a 15" R51 1,7ghz 2gig ram with a streamlined XP and a Echo indigoDJ card.Itīs a sturdy old tank and runs good with 5.5ms latency and TPro.Downpoint is the lack of Usb, but with a decent hub itīs ok.

I love it, too...

Tech Mentor

hey frank, did your R51 come with 2 gigs of ram and XP from out of the box? Or did it come with 512 mb of ram and xp pro? Cause there's a R51 at my local store for 300$ Also do you know what's the max ram that you can put on the R51? Cause on my dv6000 it can only have up to 2 gigs of ram.

Tech Wizard

It came with 512 and xp and a 60gb hd.Bought it from ebay for 280€ one year ago.Most important was the screen resolution with 1400x1050.The maximum ram is 2gb.

Tech Guru

I'm currently on a stock t60p that I bought 2 years ago. Its been good to me, and the warrenty service offered by lenovo is pretty amazing (pretty much replaced this laptop 3 times over the last 2 years). Pro's would definitly be screen size, and keyboard quality (although I heard they started building cheaper keyboards after the t60p).

I was using an x60s before I got the MacBook and they're SOLID.

If I was ever to go back to Windows, I'd definitely look at an IBM X series first
    MacBook, Senn. HD25 II, Traktor Pro, Xone:2D + X-Session Pro
    New Ableton Live 8

jonparker.co.uk | soundcloud.com/jonparker | @jonparkeruk

Tech Mentor

i'm using an sl500...aka the consumer thinkpad. loving it!
    got two win xp partitions and hardware profiles. one's a streamlined dj partition running traktor as shell and the other one's for work and entertainment (only thinkpad with and hdmi out...watching hd movies on it all the time).
    never had any problems with it.
    being the consumer line of thinkpads it has a glossy surface, which is a bit of a downer as well as the non metal chassis (still has metal display hinges). still, its a lot sturdier than all of the other consumer notebooks i know!
    Stanton SCS3 System

Tech Mentor

Thanks for you input guys!!! =) keep them coming!

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

I'm using a T61 because it's my work-laptop.
    I just bought an Ultra Bay Slim Adapter for SATA HDDs and a 500GB HDD.

It never let me down in 2 years and I travel like 500 miles with it a week.
    Never had a crash on a gig with it.

The only thing which bothered me is that the Windows 7 graphic driver kept crashing until INTEL fixed it last week.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast