Getting back into DJing, need advice on a digital setup
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Getting back into DJing, need advice on a digital setup

I used to mix a bit a few years ago with a set of SL1200s, but I'm now looking into getting a basic digital setup. I use Ableton Live already to produce some music, and I have an Ableton Push controller and an audio interface (NI Komplete Audio 6) but I want to get a DJ controller to try my hand at doing some mixing. I'd like to use MP3s and do something in the EDM/house/deep house realm of things. I would love to be able to spend $150 or less on a simple controller just to get my feet wet and see if I have what it takes. It would just start out as a hobby to entertain myself, but in the long run I would like to be able to play parties or even clubs if I can manage it.

Since I already have an interface, I figure that simplifies things a bit as I can get a basic USB controller without the interface built in and save some money. I've been looking at the Numark Mixtrack (both the original and the Mixtrack II). They are both about the same price..is there any specific reasons why the newer one might be better? Are there any other controllers I should be looking at in this price range? The Hercules stuff doesn't really interest me too much, as the cheaper ones don't seem to have dedicated FX controls, good speed/pitch control or many cue options.. then again I barely know what I'm talking about so I could be wrong. Any advice would be appreciated..

thanks.

edit: I think eventually I'd like to get into Traktor, but I'll probably just start off with whatever comes bundled with the controller I buy.

one more edit: I've been looking at some creative mappings for the Launchpad (I have one). Could I get away with just that and something simple like the M-Audio X-Session?
    Last edited by lose311; 09-20-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Tech Guru

You can get away with anything, that's the beauty of digital DJing and controllerism. Budget controller wise you cannot go wrong with the Numark Mixtrack. You can get the 2, without the soundcard (Not Pro, which has the soundcard) for dirt cheap. Due to your soundcard set up though, you would need to be playing through a mixer to cue your tracks. As such, it might be in your best interests to drop that bit extra to get the Pro version with the soundcard.

As far as budget controllers go, they don't really come better than that.

Other things you can check out however are the Behringer CMD series, which is a budget modular line. Whilst they are officially designed for Deckadance 2, there's a clear intention for these to be used for Traktor. The beauty of these controllers is if you need to expand, you can just buy another piece. And the mixer unit, the CMD MM-1, has a USB hub in the back, also they have a bracket fitting on the bottom so that you can connect them all together as you see fit.

However, this again raised the sound card issue. For you, I would highly recommend the mixtrack pro 1/2. You can get the 1 second hand for absolute dirt cheap now, and whilst the build quality isn't exactly the sculpted abs of Thor, they'll do everything you need and more.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Wizard

Couldn't I use my Komplete Audio 6 and still do cuing? It's got 4 analog outs, and I figure I can use the headphone or monitor outputs to cue with, at least I'm pretty sure that's possible with Ableton. Am I mistaken?

Also, the more I look into DJing possibilities with Ableton, I'm thinking I don't really need Traktor or any DJ specific software for the things I want to do. I more interested in remixing and production than scratching or turntablism, so I'm thinking the jogwheels aren't a necessity. That being the case, I could probably get away with just my Push, Launchpad and something like the Behringer MM-1 you mentioned for fades, levels, EQ, and effects control, right? Assuming I can figure out the cuing with my current interface.

Its about finding that feeling of djing though... i'd be surprised if you got that with ableton and your set up. Yes you can defo use the audio 6 for cuing though. If you get something that feels cheap, you won't really enjoy it. Id go for a DDJ SB for budget. YOu go cheap you end up spending twice... once on the cheap bit of gear then again on the new gear. Just up the budget and get somethig you might be satisified with

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/DJ_C...B#.VB8rGytdUwI
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

That's a good point and a great looking piece of gear.. I'm just without a job at the moment so budget is super tight. I can't justify a $250 purchase unless I know I'm going to do it for real.. still not sure. Plus if I'm going to spend some real cash I'd probably just go in for an S2. In the meantime I guess I'll spend a little more time with the gear I've got, get into some creative mappings, and see if this stuff interests me as much as it used to. Plus it looks like I've gotta narrow down the kinds of things I want to do as a DJ to find the right gear for me.

This could work for you...

Download link here: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/1559

If you add an x-session pro for the x fader etc you'd probably enjoy that set up
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

Yeah that was actually the one that inspired me to try to stick with the Push for a while longer.. Still not even sure if I need Traktor as I can do most of those things (the ones I need ATM anyway) with Ableton. I think Traktor LE came with my interface, I'll have to dig out the install disc and mess around with it for a bit. Thanks for the help, as you can tell I'm still pretty unsure where I want to go with this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    This could work for you...

Download link here: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/1559

If you add an x-session pro for the x fader etc you'd probably enjoy that set up
    Just bought an X-Session Pro to act as a MIDI mixer on eBay for £11... I use Ableton. For £11 you really cannot go wrong, although obviously it feels and looks cheap.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    Just bought an X-Session Pro to act as a MIDI mixer on eBay for £11... I use Ableton. For £11 you really cannot go wrong, although obviously it feels and looks cheap.
    Was that used? Price sounds right but I don't know if I would trust something so cheap second-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by lose311 View Post
    Was that used? Price sounds right but I don't know if I would trust something so cheap second-hand.
    Yep second hand. They're basically all the same price on eBay, it's quite an old model but has all the right faders and EQ dials as a short term fix. I'm not worried about it working (Edit: should really say working for more than 5 mins because it does work ).

Somebody else suggested the CMD MM-1 as an alternative. It looks nicer and a lot sturdier, but costs around 80 quid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast