Not sure which DJ controller to purchase
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not sure which DJ controller to purchase

Well I think its about time I upgrade from my current setup which is a NI F1 plus X1-MK2 with a DJTech Pro X10 mixer to something more advanced. Im looking at the Denon MC-6000 or the Pioneer DDJ-SR both are within my price range. Right now Im using Tractor Pro 2 but have no qualms about switching to Serato at all. I still feel noobish to the DJ world although I feel competent I could learn a lot more about dj'ing. My question is which of the two controllers above would you recommend to someone with an experience level such as mine. I don't plan on dj'ing professionally at all just in my bedroom. Are there other controllers that may be better suited for me any help would be welcomed.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

I have MC6000MK2, before I bought it, I had a good bit of homework to do, and from looking at the specs, outputs, features, price etc in comparison with a range of controllers, the Denon was ticking all the right boxes for what I do (mobile DJ), I did look at the SR, and it did not inspire me at all, bad mic output, no XLR among other things, I use 6KMK2 with Traktor Pro 2, and it works great. In UK here anyway, Serato DJ comes free with it as a download, (on proof of purchase).
    You could of course go for the SR, if you are ok with TRS outputs or phono outs, and don't want a mic. Consider a Traktor s2 if ya want a slightly cheaper option, although it is a little bit more basic than the SR or 6K, but still very functional, I have a friend who uses an S2 in a professional capacity.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Guru

I wouldn't say it's an upgrade as much as a parallel switch. Moving from and X1+F1 combo to a platter based controller is just changing the way you'll DJ.

If you don't think y ou'll be using remix decks anymore then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste the money.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I wouldn't say it's an upgrade as much as a parallel switch. Moving from and X1+F1 combo to a platter based controller is just changing the way you'll DJ.

If you don't think y ou'll be using remix decks anymore then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste the money.
    Youre right about it being a parallel switch, and no I dont think Im ready to give up my F1 yet. I wish & hope there is a way to incorporate my F1 into my next setup.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    I have MC6000MK2, before I bought it, I had a good bit of homework to do, and from looking at the specs, outputs, features, price etc in comparison with a range of controllers, the Denon was ticking all the right boxes for what I do (mobile DJ), I did look at the SR, and it did not inspire me at all, bad mic output, no XLR among other things, I use 6KMK2 with Traktor Pro 2, and it works great. In UK here anyway, Serato DJ comes free with it as a download, (on proof of purchase).
    You could of course go for the SR, if you are ok with TRS outputs or phono outs, and don't want a mic. Consider a Traktor s2 if ya want a slightly cheaper option, although it is a little bit more basic than the SR or 6K, but still very functional, I have a friend who uses an S2 in a professional capacity.
    Welcome to DJTT, Im in love with the 6000MK2. Maybe If I sell a few spare electronics I may still get the 6000MK2 not right now. From the homework Ive done on the 6000MK2 meets all of my needs & more thats why I like it so much. Thanks again for all the info you provided on the 6000MK2.

Tech Guru

The Denon controllers are really nice (construction is fantastic), but the spacing is very cramped. Keep that in mind.

For me, I have small hands so it's not that big of a deal, but I definitely see how others may dislike it. I personally would always use a modular setup.

I went from a Denon MC3000 to a X1500 mixer w/ Reloop Contour and Zomo MC-1000.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    Welcome to DJTT, Im in love with the 6000MK2. Maybe If I sell a few spare electronics I may still get the 6000MK2 not right now. From the homework Ive done on the 6000MK2 meets all of my needs & more thats why I like it so much. Thanks again for all the info you provided on the 6000MK2.
    No probs man, I've had it out on the road a few times now, and I just love it, getting rack mount kit this week to stick it in a case looking forward to getting that done. The issues around spacing are indeed justified, but, consider what you get in that space! Effects controls for both decks, a decent sized platter, all the basic controls, and a 4 channel mixer with seperate eq on 2 mics, one TRS, one XLR.. that's quite a lot to stick into 19 inches.. certainly if more spacious controls are what are needed, bigger controllers are available, or controllers that carry less function.
    It is worth getting hands on to be honest, to get the experience of how it feels to use. But as a user, it's doing my job great.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Just a little update I just purchased a Numark 4Trak controller, I think It got better reviews than the Denon MC-6000

Tech Guru

Enjoy it! Nothing beats getting new toys to play with

I personally am not a fan of Numark but to each his own.

Thanks SlvrDragon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast