Traktor-Style Browsing in Ableton

Default Traktor-Style Browsing in Ableton

Hi guys!

I'am currently changing a whole lot of thing in my DJ Template and one thing that has been bothering me for a while now is the way I use Abletons browser. Here is an example of what my Library looks like:

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 14.14.35.jpg

As I like to choose the next song on the fly I find my self staring at the laptop screen quite often during mixing, just browsing through my tracks clicking all those little arrows so open up sub menus etc. Whats your guys system? I thath the only way to do it? I don't want to prepare all my songs by putting them in a live set before the gig.

I was hoping that someone found a way to do the browsing more in a Traktor-style way. For example beeing able to scroll down the browser list with an rotary knob on my controller or something like this?

Does anyone have experience with the Live API and M4L. I would even be willing to look into creating a M4L device to give some extra controll over the browser, but I'am dont know if the Live API offers interfaces to do this kind of stuff.

Thank anyway for any kind of inspiration.
    Have a good weekend guys

Cheers Niko

Tech Wizard

You can use Bome's Midi Translator to map your controller to handle mouse clicks and scrolls. I don't know if you are familiar with the artist "Madeon", but he uses Bome to browse with his midi controller.
    15" Macbook Pro (2.0 GHz Core i7, 16 GB) Mac OS X 10.7 Ableton Suite 9. iPad (Liine Lemur).

There are key shortcuts for "set focus to browser", ans "set focus to session view". You map these to a button on your controller using some midit-to-keystroke software (Bomes?)

It can be done. I had this working some years ago on an UC-33e midi controller.

You'll also need to are up a translator to translates rotary input to Inc/Dec keystroke up/down (up/down arrow keys).
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj